Org Logistics & Discussion

Asset Management and Administration

Moderators: Board, Queen

Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:07 am

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the delays in talking about my division but it has been unexpectedly busy with work & other Star Citizen related activities.

Since we have officially split the "Social" division into "Social" & "Org. Logistics" we can now discuss the division that I am
currently in charge of.

The logistics division is in charge of managing everything that is owned or operated by The Enablers organization group. At first this
does not seem like much until you start really thinking about it. First, we have the group hangar space. How big does this need to
be? How much will this cost per month? How many ships will we be able to fit inside of it? What planet do we wish to have our main
hanger on? These, and many other questions will need to be answered in the future. We do not yet know the answers for the majority of
the questions that we have while attempting to design a very important aspect of our group. Sorry to prattle on, I just wanted to give
an idea of where my headspace is in all of this.

I will now layout each subsection and try to explain it as best I can so that we can get some discussion and possibly break things
down even further or work out some important aspects that will or not be required.

Group Hangar Space:
    Hangar Manager (manages ship parking spots & commodity storage?) A manager would be needed for each separate hangar we have.
    Club owned ships management (see the Club Owned Ships section below)
    Club owned equipment management (see the Club Owned Equipment section below)
    Consumables management (see the Consumables section below)

Clubs/Lounges/Businesses:
    Club Manager (manages access list, commodity inventories [if used in game], decor?, Monthly rental cost?

Club Owned Ships:
    Repair & upgrades management
    Insurance premiums
    Sign in/sign out to/from members (keeps track of who borrows the ships)
    Ships LOANED to the club (I believe this will be possible, if so, then they will be managed like the club owned ships where possible. There is also the possibility of renting them from the member etc.)

Club Owned Equipment:
    Ship modules, weapons, buggies, etc.
    Equipment manager (keeps track of where the item is, it's condition & maintenance)
    Sending out special request orders to request special items from other divisions.

Consumables:
    Fuel, ammunition (missiles & hard rounds)
    Consumable management (sending out restocking orders, charging org. Members a discounted price?)

Stockpiles/Speculating:
    Commodities (ore, water, foodstuffs, etc.) – items that are held onto until the value goes high and then are sold for profit.
    Buying & selling

Org. Treasurer:
    Collecting membership dues and or trade tariffs from members for club funds.
    Club Bank Account (Group owned UEC)
    Club Investments
    Loans to org members (managing repayment schedules & interest?)

Org. Web Presence: - Maintained by Eris
    SCAA Website
    Enablers Website
    SCAA "The Enablers" RSI Org Page
    RSI Org. Chat Moderation
    Org. Forums Support & Moderation

Some of the above may be managed by the same person or persons. These are the different subdivisions that I can see at this time. Any
item with a question mark directly after it indicates that I am not sure if item will exist in the universe.

Thoughts, questions? Anything I missed? Anything I am making to complex?
Eris

Re: Org Logistics & Discussion

Postby Eris » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:28 am

It remains to be seen whether or not it's too complex. It looks like a really good breakdown, but when the game approaches official release I'm sure that adjustments will need to be made as we see what actually is and is not doable and important in the game.

One omission, though, is the one thing Logisitcs is doing right now - managing out of game assets, such as the websites.

On that front I'd like to set up a source code repository for storing graphics and other website assets that we need to be able to share and track revisions to. I've got a Mercurial server that I use for my own personal stuff and I'd be happy to create an SCAA specific repo for everyone to use. (I'd prefer Mercuial over git since it has better support for large binary files, like graphics, and there's a nice GUI tool for it under Windows.)

I know that some people have already been using Google drive to share a few things, but I don't have a Google account and I'm not realy keen on getting one - I try to avoid Google because I don't like some of their business practices.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:30 am

You are right, I completely missed adding in the website and assets subdivision. I will edit that in now. Thank you.

In regards to tracking and hosting stuff, do what you think is best. You have full responsibility over the organization's web needs. :)
Eris

Postby Eris » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:49 am

Well, a repo isn't just for jme to decide because it won't be useful unless I can get others to use it. I *could* ask people to send everything to me, but that would be silly. I'd rather have me, you, and Radar all using it, but while I'm sure you'd have no trouble with it, I'm not sure if Radar has every used revision control before. I don't think it's a common thing outside of programming circles.

I'll set something up anyway and let you guys know about it.
Mil

Postby Mil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Well done, Captain Glume.

Stockpiles/Speculating: Isn't that more of a task for Merchant and Transport? Of course if space is needed (and necessary) Logicistics would organize - but trading?

Eris: Mercury would be fine by me... but I am not sure who would decide that. ;)
Behold! ... Nah, nevermind.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Mil wrote:Well done, Captain Glume.

Stockpiles/Speculating: Isn't that more of a task for Merchant and Transport? Of course if space is needed (and necessary) Logicistics would organize - but trading?

Eris: Mercury would be fine by me... but I am not sure who would decide that. ;)

I am referring to the physical storage space needs of the Merchant and Transport divisions. And only for the organizations related activities. Private traders would most likely store it in their own facility unless they specifically wanted it stored in ours. Logistics is not in charge of actually operating any other divisions activities.

Return to “Org. Logistics”