Front page Hijack?

Discuss anything you want.
Solaias

Front page Hijack?

Postby Solaias » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 am

Has someone hijacked our frontpage? (http://www.starcitizenaa.com/)

Instead of the normal SCAA site I'm getting an Oakley military discounts page. It's not being redirected, it's as though the front page has just gone.

Don't know if it's a deliberate hack or just a mistake by the company running the servers, but thought I should mention it.
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Dren

Re: Front page Hijack?

Postby Dren » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I just noticed that this morning as well. First I thought I had the wrong url or something.
last.fm   |    Steam    |   Twitter
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Oh bloody hell. And here I am stuck at work without full access to the server.
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm

All I can say at this point is that I don't think it's a deliberate hack - no one would just replace the home page of a site with the home page of a completely different site. Since there's nothing I can do from work, I've sent an email to Capt Glume (it's Glume's server anyway) so hopefully we can get this cleared up soon.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm

IT is odd... I mean Military Discounts... You don't need a special site for that. Only the main index.php page was replaced. I've renamed it to index.php1 and restored the old page. I also manually forced a WP update that was pending for all my sites. I am also watching that main page with my watcher to be alerted if it changes again.

Feel free to have a boo at the old main page if you like. Oddness.
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm

Yeah, that's what makes me think it was some weird configuration error instead of an deliberate hack. Usually when a main page is replaced it's to put up to protest message or insult - not to just advertise a different business.

However, it could be a legitimate hack. The links on the eyewear page go to sails.org, which has the nameservers

sails.org. 86400 IN NS buy.internettraffic.com.
sails.org. 86400 IN NS sell.internettraffic.com.

Buy and sell internet traffic? OK. Maybe there really is some stupid hacker out there who thinks that hijacking the front page of a website is a great way to generate traffic. It's possible.
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:46 pm

I spoke to one of the security guys here at work and apparently front page hijacks like this really are a thing. Once again, my faith in humanity bites me in the ass - people are actually scumier than I thought.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:21 pm

Eris wrote:Once again, my faith in humanity bites me in the ass - people are actually scumier than I thought.

Good for you Eris. I wish I still thought like that instead of being as cynical and jaded as I currently am. I'm reclusive because I got fed up with people, but I get less joy out of life as a result.

Better to be bitten now and then than to have lost faith completely.

One of the reasons I like being here is because we have all been on the bad end of the human race in one form or another and yet we will not lower ourselves to their level. We all treat each other with respect because of it. This is the most tolerant and "humane" group of people I have met in a long time and I am glad to know you all.
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Just remember that it is only about 5% who need to be beat with a digital stick.

Return to “Off Topic”