Windows 10

Discuss anything you want.
Solaias

Windows 10

Postby Solaias » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Well Windoze 10 is nearly upon us (Six days), so what are your hopes and misgivings for the new OS?

I'm looking forward to DirectX 12, but have misgivings about what the future of the OS is if it's being given away. I mean it has to be funded somehow, so are we going to end up with adverts in open window backgrounds (or some such nonsense) at some point?
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Eris

Re: Windows 10

Postby Eris » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm giving this version a miss. I have Windows 7 professional and it's just fine for me. All I used Windows for is games, anyway. I'll upgrade only when I have a documentable need to do so.

I'm not really keen on the way Microsoft wants to force updates on people whether they like it or not. My preference is to get security updates only and then cherry pick the feature changes according to my needs, so when I do go to Windows 10 (or whatever it's called when I make the move) I'll probably end up getting the enterprise edition so that I can turn off the auto updates.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Hmmm. Eris, according to my last read up on W10, it will be a free upgrade to 10 to Win7 & 8 users for 1 year.

Windows 10 is the last version of windows they intend to make. After this it will just keep getting updates and whatnot (MS claims they will make all their monies on new copies of 10 sold with PC's).

So if they stick with this there will not be another version. What I suggest is you duplicate your PC and upgrade one and keep the 7 around. I plan on doing that with my VM's.

That way you get the DX12 and whatnot and are standard with everyone else since it looks like the whole MS world will switch to a single platform.

I LOL a lot on this as MS is looking at extinction with Google threatening on releasing a free OS to all...
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Of course now I worry about Google as the big bad monopoly... :?
Eris

Postby Eris » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:13 pm

I'll probably skip the free upgrade. I don't like invalidating my license on old versions of Windows. I still have valid XP Pro and Win7 Pro licenses and I'll just add to the stable eventually. I don't mind paying money for Windows. I make my living writing software, so I'm a big fan of paying for what you use.
Mage

Postby Mage » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:41 am

I'm mostly with Eris on this. I won't be upgrading my Win7 box. I'll pick up 10 within a year or so when I build a new gaming machine and dual boot unless EVERYTHING runs well on 10.

My big computer is also pretty much only for games and photo work. I do 75% of my computing on an iPad or my various workstations at work where I use five different enough OS's on a weekly basis. I'll try to finagle a pro or enterprise version (whatever is required) so I can selectively update as well but if not, I'm really not that put off by that part. I already don't think about it when I update my phone, tablet or mac and rarely worry about it on windows (because I back up). I have read that you can postpone patches as well. If you can do that for a week or two then that should be plenty of time for the millions of people to uncover the obvious bugs.
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:09 am

The ability to cherry pick what updates you want and then choose when, and how to install them is quite full featured in W10.

I'll be upgrading, but I'll also buy a new licensed copy in a year or so. I have 5 PCs with Windows 7 Pro, 3 with 8.1, and 2 test machines that have been running 10 in a production environment with few issues.

Eris as you are a, primarily, linux user I can understand where you're coming from. The only reason I won't be upgrading the laptop that I use for work is because I need XP in a VM for most of the panel programming and setup that I do day to day. I'm sure I could use a 3rd party Vm software and just install XP that way but I really really like the XP mode that you can download from MS and use, mostly, natively in Win7. Now if they can get XP Mode to work as well, or better even, than it does in Win7 I'll upgrade all my machines.

I was listening to DTNS yesterday and the main topic was about Windows 10. Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont had Paul Thurrott on to dig into the upgrade and feature sets. It's a good listen as Paul Thurrott is one of the best Windows reporters I've ever ran across. Windows Weekly is his podcast with Mary Jo Foley whom is also one hell of a Windows journalist. Probably even better than Paul Thurrott, truthfully, and she's much more critical and analytical in her reporting.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:38 am

einnyen wrote:I was listening to DTNS yesterday and the main topic was about Windows 10. Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont had Paul Thurrott on to dig into the upgrade and feature sets. It's a good listen as Paul Thurrott is one of the best Windows reporters I've ever ran across. Windows Weekly is his podcast with Mary Jo Foley whom is also one hell of a Windows journalist. Probably even better than Paul Thurrott, truthfully, and she's much more critical and analytical in her reporting.

This episode?

Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Mage

Postby Mage » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:54 am

einnyen wrote:The ability to cherry pick what updates you want and then choose when, and how to install them is quite full featured in W10.

I'll be upgrading, but I'll also buy a new licensed copy in a year or so. I have 5 PCs with Windows 7 Pro, 3 with 8.1, and 2 test machines that have been running 10 in a production environment with few issues.

Eris as you are a, primarily, linux user I can understand where you're coming from. The only reason I won't be upgrading the laptop that I use for work is because I need XP in a VM for most of the panel programming and setup that I do day to day. I'm sure I could use a 3rd party Vm software and just install XP that way but I really really like the XP mode that you can download from MS and use, mostly, natively in Win7. Now if they can get XP Mode to work as well, or better even, than it does in Win7 I'll upgrade all my machines.

I was listening to DTNS yesterday and the main topic was about Windows 10. Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont had Paul Thurrott on to dig into the upgrade and feature sets. It's a good listen as Paul Thurrott is one of the best Windows reporters I've ever ran across. Windows Weekly is his podcast with Mary Jo Foley whom is also one hell of a Windows journalist. Probably even better than Paul Thurrott, truthfully, and she's much more critical and analytical in her reporting.

Which versions though? The only full control I've seen so far (from Thurott's writing and comments actually) was enterprise /"for business" or however they are going to brand that sku this time around. Granted, I just took his word for it but I do trust him and enjoy his site and podcast appearances. Thanks for any clarification if you happen to have it, I haven't had time to read or listen to anything but his stuff so far. Not an WInsider anymore so just haven't kept up.
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:56 am

The Enterprise editions allow you to defer updates for "years".

Pro will allow you to defer for up to a year.

The only confusion is where security and critical updates are concerned. Those may not be deferred, or they may. If I get home from work at a decent hour today I'll look through some documentation and get a more solid answer.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A

Return to “Off Topic”