Small talk

Discuss anything you want.
Eris

Re: Small talk

Postby Eris » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:16 pm

Oh I'm not going after that either. I've done admin work and it just isn't as interesting as programming.
Dren

Postby Dren » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Mage wrote:
Dren wrote:Have to drive to Atlanta from Jacksonville tomorrow to be a photographer in a family member's wedding. Leaving tomorrow morning around 3 AM and hoping to be back home by midnight at the absolute latest. Needless to say it's going to be a long day. I'm not a professional photographer by any stretch of the imagination and I've never photographed a wedding. Not looking forward to the 5 hour drive or the awkwardness of dealing with family. I do have this audio book and 2 podcasts(Future of Humanity by Elon Musk and The Science of Interstellar with Christopher Nolan) with to keep me company through so I'm looking forward to that. I hear amazing things about it and I wanted to give it a read through before I start the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.

I'd be interested in what you think of Seveneves. I loved Snow Crash in an inappropriate way and Anathem was intellectually enjoyable even though he made us pay for that enjoyment. :P

You're also braver than I am on the wedding. I've been paid over the years to shoot things but mostly it was product photography for catalogs and I'm really comfortable with my cameras but a wedding would terrify me and I always decline. I hate even doing charity events for the organizations I'm involved in. Good luck with the shoot and let us know what you think of the book please!

This sums up my thoughts to a tee.

I really enjoyed the first two-thirds of SEVENEVES. The plot motored right along, characters were in real peril, and you never knew for sure who'd still be alive by the next page. The characters were pretty blatant archetypes, but I think that's secondary for fans of hard science fiction. I enjoy a good technical tale as much as anyone else, but in the end, stories need to be about people, not things and processes. The latter, while interesting, is better suited for textbooks and game manuals. Make no mistake, the first two-thirds of this book are fun, and I read for lengthy periods.

But two-thirds of a great book is not a completely great book. The final third brings everything to a screeching halt in order to catch us up on 5000 years of history. The worldbuilding is some of the most detailed I've ever read, and that's a really strong aspect of Stephenson's work. However, the story suffers terribly from the lengthy nerdsplaining, sometimes lasting for many pages. We're introduced to a new narrative focal character and she's so poorly developed as to not even be an audience surrogate. She's a cypher, carried along on a vast blizzard of "look upon my works, ye mortals, and be amazed."

Bottom line is that what began as a five star read for me devolved to four stars with the lack of character development-still a novel of recommend-but then lost another star for the nerdsplaining and third act altogether. Call it a soft 3.5 stars, but if you like stories about people instead of things, you're not going to like this one as much as, say, Snow Crash.
last.fm   |    Steam    |   Twitter
Dren

Postby Dren » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Eris wrote:Aaaaand another recruiter called me just now. This time for a Linux administration position. At least it wasn't another webdev job. :D

I work in IT, but being a WebDev is something that definitely interests me :D
last.fm   |    Steam    |   Twitter
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Dren wrote:
Eris wrote:Aaaaand another recruiter called me just now. This time for a Linux administration position. At least it wasn't another webdev job. :D

I just don't like web pages. I can't really explain why in any articulate way. I just don't like them. They're messy and chaotic. I like order.

I used to do some scientific programming. That was fun! I wish I could do that again. Give me math programming any day.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Eris wrote:I used to do some scientific programming. That was fun! I wish I could do that again. Give me math programming any day.

Well for someone who has a maths degree and likes programming, that's truly a shock... :shock: :twisted:
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 am

Eris wrote:
Dren wrote:

I just don't like web pages. I can't really explain why in any articulate way. I just don't like them. They're messy and chaotic. I like order.

I used to do some scientific programming. That was fun! I wish I could do that again. Give me math programming any day.

I took a hiatus from software development because it was when web development was exploding and I hate it with a passion.
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 pm

On Wednesday my team pulled in work for the next two week sprint. I told them at the time that they were not pulling in enough to keep us busy, but they all argued against me saying that we had plenty to do.

Today we are out of work.

Maybe next time they'll listen to me.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:49 am

That would be a nice change. ;)
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Today I am dealing with code originally written by our system administrators. It is ... quirky. I'll use that word to maintain a semblance of politeness.
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:32 am

Ah!

Here's a change. This week we pulled in a story that was moderately challenging and interesting. It's kept me busy since Monday, and even inspired me to work late tonight. It's nice not to be frustrated by a lack of work for a change.

Return to “Off Topic”