Small talk

Discuss anything you want.
Pappy

Re: Small talk

Postby Pappy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Solaias wrote:Well if it does get slow again, or you run out of internet funnies again, try this: https://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

Ha! I love Simon's Cat.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Well crap, it's happened again. There's nothing to do at work. And this time we even tried planning for more work than usual. Management keeps giving us little small things to do, though, so it's not like we aren't trying. And even though we have our own wish list of stuff we'd like to get done, management says not to do that because they have other things that are higher priorities ... which for whatever reason they don't want us to start on yet. It's crazy.

Well, at least I got an email from some local company wanting to hire Perl developers for (they claim) 100k a year. It sounds too good to be true, and probably is, but I may apply anyway just for shits and grins.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:09 am

Well if it's genuine and you get it, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. :D
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:57 am

And this weeks favourite web site is: http://messingwithtelemarketers.com/ :D
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Small talk, small talk ... I need to think small. Small, damn it!

Uh, how about that Ant Man movie?
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but to keep in theme they have just released "Innerspace" to blu-ray. :)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Innerspace-Blu-ray/64263/
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Damn I'm bored! It's the end of the sprint and there's nothing for me to do. I hate being bored at work.

And my job search has effectively ground to a a halt. I've gotten plenty of contacts from recruiters, but always for web development jobs, and never in the part of the country I want to move to. The web development part of that scares me. I am not now, and never have been a web developer. I don't know the first thing about CSS or Javascript, and only the bare minimum of HTML, but because the job I have now is using Perl to write the backend parts of websites for my company, all the recruiters seem to have me pegged as a web developer.

My job has literally tainted my career and is making it more difficult for me to find a better job!

I'm starting to think that I'm just going to eventually end up having to learn web development anyway so that I can find a better job, and that makes me feel like shit, because the reason I've never learned it in the first place is that it bores me to tears. Web sites are just plain uninteresting. On top of that, the technologies used are ill designed, and there are no universal standards that I can see - everyone who writes Javascript, does so in a way that is different from everyone else who writes Javascript. (plain JS, JQuery, Knockout, AngularJS, Bootstrap, etc) That kind of chaos really turns me off. I get headaches just trying to think about this stuff.

Fuck my life.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Aaaaand another recruiter called me just now. This time for a Linux administration position. At least it wasn't another webdev job. :D
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm

Eris wrote:Aaaaand another recruiter called me just now. This time for a Linux administration position. At least it wasn't another webdev job. :D

Good luck!

Return to “Off Topic”