Shroud of the Avatar

Anything not Star Citizen
NotableJoe

Shroud of the Avatar

Postby NotableJoe » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:26 am

Anyone else playing Shroud of the Avatar? (Richard Garriot's spinoff of the Ultima series)

I've had it for a while but until recently I didn't play it much. It still has a way to go, but it has come a long way since I first picked it up. Rough around the edges still but getting very playable.
Captain Glume

Re: Shroud of the Avatar

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:57 pm

I've been a first responder for ages (got the weapon swap between SC and Shroud) but never loaded it. I'd rather try it once completely finished.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:28 am

I'm having more fun in it than even just a couple months ago, but it's still unpolished. The animations are stiff and the sound is atrocious, but the overall game is getting better with each release. I've been sword-and-board since the beginning, but just this weekend I started trying other builds. The combat system is unique, and I didn't care for it much at first but it's starting to grow on me.

At any rate, if it's not something you're overly excited for, it would be best to wait a bit longer for it to shape up some. I think at the moment it's mostly only actively played by the really hardcore Ultima fans.
Eris

Postby Eris » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:15 am

Like Glume, I have it it too, but I've not really tried playing it yet. Tell me, does it have any interesting quests in it yet? The thing that always attracted me to the Ultima games was the story, so I'd prefer to wait until the NPCs and quests are well fleshed out to I don't get a bad early impression.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:37 am

Eris wrote:Like Glume, I have it it too, but I've not really tried playing it yet. Tell me, does it have any interesting quests in it yet? The thing that always attracted me to the Ultima games was the story, so I'd prefer to wait until the NPCs and quests are well fleshed out to I don't get a bad early impression.

No, the quest system isn't in yet. It's mostly grinding monsters and gathering crafting materials. At least as far as I've made it, but I doubt they're staring with the high-level quests so my guess is none are there yet.

At the moment, you have to be into crafting to enjoy the game, as that's mostly what's there right now (plus combat, of course).
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:27 am

Unfortunately Eris likes combat about as much as drowning kittens.
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:10 am

Eh. I prefer my combat to be easy, that's all. It simply isn't the interesting part of a game for me, so I don't want to spend too much time on it.

Return to “Other Games”