Fallout 4 is coming!

Anything not Star Citizen
Eris

Re: Fallout 4 is coming!

Postby Eris » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Less than 12 hours now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
SilverlightPony

Postby SilverlightPony » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:07 pm

SEVEN HOURS REMAIN.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:25 am

Well it's out now, so I doubt I'll see any of you for a couple of weeks. lol

My copy is on it's way by courier now. I wonder if the courier has played New Vegas?
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 am

Looks like I finished my other game just in time, game is preloading and ready for ironically enough me to get back from Boston after work tomorrow.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 am

Hmpf!

Codsworth doesn't say my name, and I even picked a common name - Sarah - just to make sure he would.

*disappointed
SilverlightPony

Postby SilverlightPony » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Eris wrote:Hmpf!

Codsworth doesn't say my name, and I even picked a common name - Sarah - just to make sure he would.

*disappointed

"Sarah" should work, it's in the list.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Yeah, I even checked that list first, but Codsworth didn't say it.
:(
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Last night I played through the opening of the game to the point where I meet Codsworth after coming out of the vault. My initial reaction to the game is "mild disappointment". To begin with, the opening didn't really grab my attention and draw me into the game the way the opening of Fallout 3 did. By the time I left the vault in FO3 I was emotionally hooked into the game and felt like I had just barely escaped with my life and possibly betrayed my friends. Coming out into the light was an emotional experience for me that made my heart race and left me wondering "what on Earth have i done?"

But in FO4 I'm afraid that I pretty much just walked through on auto pilot. Everything had a very scripted and forced feel to it, and the scenes that were supposed to be emotionally gripping just kind of fell flat for me.

From a technical standpoint, the user interface really leaves a lot to be desired. It's obviously design exclusively for consoles, and I even found a place where the mouse was mysteriously disabled, forcing me to use the arrow keys and and Enter key to select items on the screen. That was quite jarring. Also, in previous games there were frequently a large number of dialogue options to choose from when conversing with an NPC. Now there are exactly four, all mapped to buttons on a console controller (or the arrow keys on the PC). Seriously, limiting the dialogue based on an input device is absurd. It artificially constrains the writing and the story in ways that detract from the game.

I am also disappointed by the removal of the skills system. In all previous Fallout and Elder Scrolls games from Bethesda, the skills have been a primary mechanism for character customization. My FO3 character had good long gun and science skills. My first Skyrim character was a mage/armorer who specialized in enchanting items, while my second Skyrim character was a sneak specialized thief with poor combat skills, leading to a very different play style. Now in FO4 I am unsure how to proceed. I have a pretty generic character that is doubtless very similar to everyone else's character. If I were to make a second character it would end up being almost identical to my current one. Where is the customization?

I suppose the Perks system is supposed ot be how you customize your character, but previous FO games have had perks, too, and I didn't find that to be a very good customization option then, so unless it is massively different - which at first glance it does not appear to be - then FO4 is going to be a pretty generic experience.

The graphics are fine, the sound is ... OK. I get a high pitched buzzing noise in the background which is probably interference from my video card. Some games do that, some don't. I have no idea how to fix it.

I suppose it will get better as I get farther along in the story, but for now I'm feeling underwhelmed by it.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:59 pm

*shrug* I am enjoying it so far. Mostly just running around collecting junk so far. Have gotten to Concord and met a group of sympathetic humans; helping them against some raiders. Damn, if I had a bobby pin I could get a suit of power armor :P

Maybe my expectations were lower?
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Pathagarus wrote:Maybe my expectations were lower?

Probably. FO3's beginning really worked well for me. I think it's one of the best game intros ever, in fact. Even FONV had a decent opening - very gritty and unexpected. I suppose there wasn't any place to go but down from there.

Return to “Other Games”