KSP Mods - What are you favs? (include links)

Anything not Star Citizen
Captain Glume

KSP Mods - What are you favs? (include links)

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey all,

I started playing KSP in .19 and stopped at .21 due to discovering SC. I am planning to return to KSP when .24 comes out and was noticing in a Scott Manley Video that there are some sweet new mods. This got me to thinking that we need a mod discussion.

So, what is everyone using and why? My mod list is 6 months out of date so I need to update it and will post a little later.
jaustin89

Re: KSP Mods - What are you favs? (include links)

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I've lapsed from playing for a while myself so I don't know where to go digging for links, but I would strongly recommend the B9 Aerospace pack, the Kethane Pack, and one of the mods that gives proper readouts (MechJeb is awesome for this even if you never use it for autopilot, though it can be tempting) as a good starting point.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:38 am

jaustin89 wrote:I've lapsed from playing for a while myself so I don't know where to go digging for links, but I would strongly recommend the B9 Aerospace pack, the Kethane Pack, and one of the mods that gives proper readouts (MechJeb is awesome for this even if you never use it for autopilot, though it can be tempting) as a good starting point.

I love MechJeb, I couldn't play without it. My poor hands just can't handle all the keying required to do it manually. Believe me there is enough of a challenge with design and implementation to let Jeb fly the ship for me. :P I have a crap ton of pictures of my exploits to date.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 am

While this link is woefully out of date here are the mods I used back with .21... They should mostly be still valid just get the latest versions. Read the pic and the comments.
bdo7

Postby bdo7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Cap'n, your pictures you posted just blow me away. I haven't managed a successful orbit in this game yet, and you've got vehicles all over the solar system! How do you find that kind of time?? :lol:

NASA should hire you...

Anyway, just wanted to say awesome work. If you do get back into the game, I hope you continue to document your travels!

P.S. I just noticed that one of your astronauts is surnamed "Kerfem" instead of "Kerman." Take THAT, male-dominated space industry!! 8-)
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 pm

bdo7 wrote:Cap'n, your pictures you posted just blow me away. I haven't managed a successful orbit in this game yet, and you've got vehicles all over the solar system! How do you find that kind of time?? :lol:

Thanks. But I have only been to Duna once (3 missions in one span) the rest of the time I have been playing with space stations, refueling missions from the moon and designing better craft. A few Minmus missions but it just didn't click with me. So mostly the mun. Though I have been wanting to do an explorer ship that can do some tours but just can't get it right yet with my limited time.

bdo7 wrote:Anyway, just wanted to say awesome work. If you do get back into the game, I hope you continue to document your travels!

Thanks! It is fun documenting.

bdo7 wrote:P.S. I just noticed that one of your astronauts is surnamed "Kerfem" instead of "Kerman." Take THAT, male-dominated space industry!! 8-)

Yes. I had a 3 person female team. Lisa, Samantha and Julie Kerfem that did some crazy missions with Jeb, Bill & Bob. :)
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:29 am

Figured I'd dig out some of my old screenshots, there's a bunch of them so I'll use links other than full images but for my favorite few;

Lucky timing on a suborbital test run:

The payoff of a long journey:

A slightly less lengthy journey but much harder to design for (check the max altitude and distance traveled and recall that Kerbin's circumference is only around 3700m):
The plane that made it.

A demonstration of true maneuverability:
not quite as tight but more stable.

VTOL (yes I landed a plane on a stock structural truss segment, the probe fuel tank was too small for the wheel base; as is a kerbal's helmet) More VTOL fun
Just Hangn' out.

I don't have screens from all of the places I went uploaded but here's a couple;

Moho
Is it just me or does the sun look big? Flaged.

Eve
Not quite as interesting.

Dunna
Nothing with the planet itself but I do have the most epic interplanetary transfer I've managed. Dunna intercept, straight off Munar slingshot (Note that that is withoutMechJeb or any other auto pilot).

Laythe
see long journey above.

And perhaps my best accomplishment: ~1000 ton SSTO (everything aft of the solar panels, the command module was a separate launch).

Sorry for the long post, I had some trouble narrowing down which to use. I really need to get back to this game.

Return to “Other Games”