Negativity around the Starliner price tag

Rehab is not an option!
Dren

Negativity around the Starliner price tag

Postby Dren » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:51 am

While I expected the Starliner to be expensive, I guess I didn't expect it to be $400 expensive. I don't mind the fact that I probably won't get it now, this just allows me to have a goal to strive for once the game comes out. In response to the amount of negativity going around about the Starliner $400 price tag on multiple forums and social media, here is what someone at CiG posted on Reddit (I'm aware that reading through Reddit comments might make me a masochist :cry: ).

Every concept sale involves thousands of hours of design and art development. The Starliner, for instance, has been in development for eight months. The culmination of that is some very pretty pictures… but the process to get there is significant.

Launching it next week means we’ve worked out a complete system for passenger transportation in the persistent universe and we’ve tested and checked hundreds of different things… BEFORE the art revision process. For instance: can we have forty NPCs on a ship at once? How do you interact with them? Is there enough gameplay to make flying a ship like this fun? Is there enough variety to make missions involving it interesting? How do you abandon ship with so many people? How long is a trip in space? Do you need individual rooms, or seats like an airliner? Settling on rooms, how are they set up? What do you need to keep NPCs alive for that long built into the ship? What can a player who uses one access at any time? What kind of resources will it need when it goes into production? Where does it store cargo? What kind of cargo is it limited to? How does it land? What does a spaceport look like, and can we build one for it? What does the crew look like? Who in our corporation matrix would operate these? How customizable do the interiors need to be? The exteriors? What damage states will we have to build? How does it compare to similar role ships? And so on and so on… and that’s before we get to the marketing part: is it reasonable to sell this ship? Will players want to use it, or should it be part of the background lore? What’s the best way to explain such an odd ship to people? What will the variants be? Etc.

That’s all before we get to the ‘$400 picture’ you’re complaining about. And then those pictures don’t exist without an incredibly high poly concept model, usually created by a noted concept artist. (For folks who wonder why we can have concept sales regularly but not patches, this is because the concept artists we use are contracted to deliver on a deadline unaffected by issues with the game build. They’re building a spaceship that isn’t in engine yet.) Once that concept model exists (which I’m making sound too easy – art goes back and forth back and forth to get the right look), it gets sent off to someone like Chris Olivia to pose cool pictures… and it’s handed back to the design team to prototype all the things we discussed in part one. Do the seats fit where they should? Is it clear how you get in and out, how it loads cargo, etc., etc. By the time a concept ship shows up for sale at the website, it’s been worked on by a dozen members of the team and multiple contractors. It’s a long, difficult process for everyone involved, and they’re pretty darn proud of the pictures you see… because they mean a lot for the game. :)
last.fm   |    Steam    |   Twitter
Shank
Paste King of SC

Re: Negativity around the Starliner price tag

Postby Shank » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm going to wait until I see the ship before I decide if it is worth $400, though I more than likely won't get one, or more :) , until the PU.
Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:51 pm

I have no problem with the price, but at the same time I've reached a point where I think I've spent enough. I peaked when I bought the 890 Jump and ever since then I've been scaling back my spending, though I'm still a sucker for physical goods.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:25 pm

It does seem pricey for a transport ship, but I gather that it's a rather large ship, and that they're planning on building some decent gameplay mechanics behind the concept. Whether it's worth the price is subjective, and many people may feel it's not, but I don't understand the negativity.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:54 pm

You guys are missing the point. You really need to be thinking of the largest 787 Jumbo Jet and THEN make it 200% bigger, add in dedicated passenger cabins and crew quarters. Escape pods and all the like. How much would that be in RL? About 25 million bucks... So it looks to be priced about right.

This has been a ship I am VERY excited about and will be picking one up, using new monies, enough though that $400 price tag to you Americans is $536 to us Canadians. :evil: As many of my friends know I'm not really into the combat stuff. The other things like mining, transport and entertainment occupations is my thing. So sweet! Can't wait for Friday!
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:26 pm

*Is confused by the negativity*

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Problem solved surely?
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:38 pm

/me nods
Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Solaias wrote:*Is confused by the negativity*

SHHH! If you talk like that then people might not rant pointlessly and then where would we be?
Dren

Postby Dren » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Eris wrote:
Solaias wrote:*Is confused by the negativity*

SHHH! If you talk like that then people might not rant pointlessly and then where would we be?

But in all seriousness, there has definitely been some major vitriol spewing about this. I'm still looking forward to being able to purchase this in game regardless. I'm in the same boat as Capt. Glume. The combat doesn't appeal to me so much compared to all the other professions out there.
last.fm   |    Steam    |   Twitter
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Surely paradise would include a more breathable environ? :P
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.

Return to “Star Citizen AA”