Help me build a new PC

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
Sebilawikkah

Re: Help me build a new PC

Postby Sebilawikkah » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:26 pm

I just put one together about 6 mos. ago to run SC somewhat respectably. I use an i5 4690 3.50gHz with 16GB ram, SSD and GTX970 FTW on a Z97 Pro board. Is the i7 a big leap in performance? I had read somewhere that all the cores in i7 don't get fully utilized, or is that just the optimization that needs to occur in the SC code? Also, should I bother with SLI for this GPU or gift it to my nephew and upgrade later next year? I do plan on multi-monitor setup.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Well whatever you do with the video card, be aware that SC currently doesn't work correctly with SLI setups, so whatever you do I'd wait awhile on going SLI unless you have something else you need to use it for right away.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 am

I'd say gift the current card, and wait and upgrade closer to release. I plan on holding onto my aging GTX690 until late next year.
Sebilawikkah

Postby Sebilawikkah » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:29 am

NotableJoe wrote:I'd say gift the current card, and wait and upgrade closer to release. I plan on holding onto my aging GTX690 until late next year.

Thanks Notable Joe, I kinda figured as much. I keep hearing how the 980 is so much better. I really wasn't paying enough attention when I got the 970.

Return to “Hardware”