Finally broke down and bought a new PC

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
Pathagarus

Re: Finally broke down and bought a new PC

Postby Pathagarus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Dren wrote:Don't forget, send pictures =P

*shrug* Don't have anything to take them with

At least I got the darn thing up and running. Win 10 is VERY different, going to take some getting used to.

@Dren: the wiring is very neat :)
Reaper

Postby Reaper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

Pathagarus wrote:
Solaias wrote:
Pathagarus wrote:FWIW; these are the complete specs on the hardware & OS:

Case 1 x Apex EL 660 Gaming Case - Black
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Copper plate for best cooling performance) - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand **Free Upgrade to DDR3-2133 G.SKILL Ripjaws X
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 4GB - Single Card
Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0
Power Supply 1 x 700 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 800W Standard
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD -- Read: 530MB/s, Write: 390MB/s - Single Drive *Free Upgrade to 128GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD*
Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x LG 12x Blu-ray Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - FREE Upgrade to LG 14x Blu-ray Re-Writer
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit - *Newest Microsoft Windows*

Not a bad setup Path. :)

Thanks

The more I look at it the better I like this. There is room to upgrade with the motherboard and power supply I got. If need be I can add more RAM and upgrade video card if I think that is needed. I can't with current motherboard & power supply I have.

Congrats Path! looks nice and the amount of Ram you have is more than enough for any game and general use, You should not have to swap out the psu unless you go SLI more than enough power with 800W.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 pm

You haven't mentioned how it's going Path. Are you having fun with your new toy? :)
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Solaias wrote:You haven't mentioned how it's going Path. Are you having fun with your new toy? :)

Only complaints I have are that Winblows Edge sucks but thanks to Reaper I got my main beef with that fixed (rss feed).

AND blue-ray players doesn't work. So need to email tech support to see if they have drivers for it or d/l a 3rd party app to do that. Microshaft quit providing drivers because of a dispute over royalties with Sony.

As far as SC goes, getting 30 FPS now instead of 15 or so; also load times are way lower. Now just a minute or two instead of 5-10 minutes.

Return to “Hardware”