Integrating pc

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
Waxman

Integrating pc

Postby Waxman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:01 pm

Does anyone else think that integrating a pc into a desk is a good idea?
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
jaustin89

Re: Integrating pc

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I've actually been toying with the idea for the past year or so; it would certainly be convenient it should also provide much better airflow if you design it right. The only reason I didn't do it with the build I did last fall was that I don't have the room for a full desk.
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Yes, room for a full desk is a problem for me at the moment. But if I use the room taken up by my Cosmos II super tower behemoth of a pc case. I should have ample room.

However I'd have to make a modular desk and right now I have no room to actually build the thing.

I was thinking of using PCIe extenders so I could separate the GPU/s from the CPU.
What do you think?
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 am

It would improve airflow but regardless of the orientation you put the board in it'll put extra strain on the connections so you'd have to make sure you have supports in place.

I'd probably go with one or more of these rather than a rigid extender and build in a separate support for VGAs; should give you more flexibility in cooling options as well.
Captain

Postby Captain » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:30 pm

This is the little i5 used for Network TV & Radio. This TV-Stand has all cables & router internal, and several FANs mounted at the back to cycle the air. Otherwise, it would get really hot in there!

The TV / Stereo Component Stand is Walnut on Maple
ImageImage Fleet: SS MINOTAUR (Recl'r), SS BADGER, SS MYSTIC (Orion), SS NUTCRACKER (F7C/M), SS WARLOCK (C'ack), SS BULLET (Vgard), SS STARFLYER (MIS), SS ZODIAC, SS LUGNUT & SS WINGNUT
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:38 am

This is what I was thinking
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 pm

I have seen desks designed to hold one or more PC's in them. I had a great picture but I can't find it.

Found a link to a similar one though: http://www.consumerit.eu/index.php?opti ... mid=100023
Captain

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:29 pm

That looks real pretty!
I would suggest some kind of cage or basket like top... anything that you could improve heat dissipation: i.e. Mount fans in or would otherwise help direct the flow of hot air way from the components and the Wood.
The "Fire" potential of sappy woods or thick lacquers are real concerns. Everything/Anything creating heat should NOT be mounted directly to the wood. Contractor's that install wood stoves have regulations they follow for spacing and heat insulation. Kept those same rules in mind, and you can turn that Big Black Ugly Computer Case into an attractive piece of Furniture. It will be functional, blend into your current "decor", and maybe every be something that gets handed down in the Family!
:lol:
Of course... there's always PAINT:
ImageImage Fleet: SS MINOTAUR (Recl'r), SS BADGER, SS MYSTIC (Orion), SS NUTCRACKER (F7C/M), SS WARLOCK (C'ack), SS BULLET (Vgard), SS STARFLYER (MIS), SS ZODIAC, SS LUGNUT & SS WINGNUT
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:15 am

Not going to use pc components directly on wood. Wood has the heat dissipation of well... wood. Also going to use ducts lines with insulation and mount an exhaust fan at the top of each duct, there will be three active cooling ducts. Thanks for the advice on heat.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 am

I'm a CAD drafter so if you want to give me dimensions for the component's you're looking at I can help you mock up the desk so you can make sure everything will fit; only caveat is that my software is all student editions so anything I give you can't be directly used for production.

Return to “Hardware”