FPS/Social Modules are coming, Need Help with your PC?

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
Captain Glume

FPS/Social Modules are coming, Need Help with your PC?

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey friends,

The big modules are coming! FPS is fast reflexes and twitchy fingers. Your PC needs to be up to the task by offering high frame rates and quick inputs our your just a puddle on the floor. Social module will require spill proof keyboards and high frame rates if we are to race our buggies in our hangars and drink at the local watering hole (probably both at the same time!).

Need help? Not sure how your current specks measure up? Want to know what to buy? Ask here and our other friends will be happy to help.

Lets be ready to enjoy this adventure together!
Captain

Re: FPS/Social Modules are coming, Need Help with your PC?

Postby Captain » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:45 pm

I am looking at upgrading my PC in next few months and hope there will be some price drops by then.. I hope a hope a.
I would like to know if anyone has experience on the "3" parts I am looking at upgrading:

1) "CPU"
I like what I have been seeing on the i7 5820K Six-core; Is this a good entry w/o breaking the bank (ie bang for buck)?

2) "MOTHERBOARD"
MSI Motherboards really seem to knock the socks off most other MB's, (I'm looking at the X99S) but I worry about possible compatibility/driver issues anytime your dealing with a Jacked-Up component?

3) "VIDEO CARD"
GPU Graphic cards are a pain! SLI looks to be a safer way to go for game support. NVIDIA GTX 760 looks to be a good one for the price and leaves the door open to SLI in future.
==== Heat + Frame-rate + $ are my primary concerns....

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you :?:
ImageImage Fleet: SS MINOTAUR (Recl'r), SS BADGER, SS MYSTIC (Orion), SS NUTCRACKER (F7C/M), SS WARLOCK (C'ack), SS BULLET (Vgard), SS STARFLYER (MIS), SS ZODIAC, SS LUGNUT & SS WINGNUT
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:48 am

Captain wrote:I am looking at upgrading my PC in next few months and hope there will be some price drops by then.. I hope a hope a.
I would like to know if anyone has experience on the "3" parts I am looking at upgrading:

1) "CPU"
I like what I have been seeing on the i7 5820K Six-core; Is this a good entry w/o breaking the bank (ie bang for buck)?

2) "MOTHERBOARD"
MSI Motherboards really seem to knock the socks off most other MB's, (I'm looking at the X99S) but I worry about possible compatibility/driver issues anytime your dealing with a Jacked-Up component?

3) "VIDEO CARD"
GPU Graphic cards are a pain! SLI looks to be a safer way to go for game support. NVIDIA GTX 760 looks to be a good one for the price and leaves the door open to SLI in future.

1. That CPU would provide more than enough processing power. My aging x79 3820 does the job well. It is only a 28 lane cpu, meaning that "if" you have sli or crossfire your added devices that use pci lanes, such as thunderbolt, m.2 ssd, and sata express might not get the support that they need.

2. MSI mobo are great, ASUS boards tend to have more features but they are more hands on. BIOS updates are frequent. In my experience ASUS is far superior.

3. Nvidia does seem to have the advantage. Ask yourself this. Are you planning on upgrading to windows 10? Directx 12 is win 10 exclusive. Directx offer programmers direct access to GPU features. Such as multiple thread and vram stacking. And while you do get some Directx features on the 7XX series cards, the Maxwell architecture is the first cards with a preset for full Directx features.
If you are not going the windows 10 route then I would suggest an AMD card, as you will get the benefit of Mantle.

I have two GTX 970 in sli and soon I will have sli surround. I get 90-144 FPS
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 am

Captain wrote:I am looking at upgrading my PC in next few months and hope there will be some price drops by then.. I hope a hope a.

1) "CPU"

2) "MOTHERBOARD"

3) "VIDEO CARD"

I'm with Waxman on all point, except the Asus board part.

I used Asus exclusively for nearly 20 years and then I had 3 generations of boards in a row with multiple variations fail or be bad out of the box. Now I use MSI almost exclusively, although I still prefer Gigabyte for my server boards as they tend to be a bit heavier on the material side.

I'd definitely skip the GTX7XX family at this point and move to the 900 family. The 960 is roughly 200 after rebates. I'd highly recommend saving a bit and moving up to the 970. Same SLI options and the 970 is nearly as good as two 960s for a few bucks less.

Also on the CPU side please consider getting a good to great cooler. Corsair just released new AIO water coolers that are really nice. Thinking of upgrading from the H100 to the new version after looking at some of the test results coming out.

Lastly don't skimp on the RAM. 16GB is good enough until you can add two more sticks, but get the fastest you can afford that is natively supported by your chosen board. Quality memory really does improve your experience a great deal and it easy to go with something a few bucks cheaper and get a vastly inferior product. I'm a Corsair fan, but there are some really options out there without the Corsair name on it.

Okay this is getting a bit long but I seriously can not stress enough the importance of a GOOD monitor, keyboard and mouse. You can have the greatest hardware ever conceived of inside your case but if you dont have something that is pleasurable to view your pride and joy on, and you don't get a small thrill when you lay hands on your keyboard and mouse it takes a great deal away from the entire experience.

If you're going to spend the money inside the case it just as important, if not even more so, that you spend it on the items that you actually interact with.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:11 am

1) "CPU"

2) "MOTHERBOARD"

3) "VIDEO CARD"

The first thing you need to do is decide exactly what the primary use of your PC is going to be, and then tailor the parts to what you are going to be doing on it. I am going to assume in this case that your primary use will be for gaming.

CPU: This is more than enough power for gaming, there isn't anything you can throw at it that will bother it. However for gaming you are really shooting way above the bar needed for a CPU. I know it is always tempting to get the most shiny product, but that is not always going to get you the best 'bang for buck' when you're tweaking a system for gaming. For example I am using an Ivybridge i7 3770K atm, and there is nothing on the market currently (Or in the near future) gaming wise that is pushing this chip to it's limits yet. I could get away with an i5 2500 for gaming, but I do a lot of rendering so I wanted the HT that i7's offer.

Now I'm not saying you should downgrade that far, these were the best chips available for what I wanted the last time I upgraded my system. What I am saying is are you really sure that a six core Haswell chip is right for the use you are considering putting your PC to? For gaming I would look at something like a i7 4790K. Yes you lose 2 cores, but the base rate for this chip is 4.4GHz and most games don't really benefit from the extra 2 cores. For those that do it is a marginal difference at best, but the high clock rate of the 4790K's more than make up for the minor advantage an extra 2 cores would make in those very few games, so you are actually getting a faster chip for gaming. And here in the UK I would be saving myself Approx £40 atm which I could use elsewhere in my build.

Motherboard: You didn't say which version of the mobo you were looking at, seeing as the 99s range of boards go from the £320 X99S GAMING 9 ACK down to the £155 X99S SLI PLUS. However, even the SLI Plus is more than adequate for your needs.

If you decide to change the CPU as I suggest above, then you will need to change your mobo as well as you are now looking at a Z97 chipset rather than an X99 one. In this case you should probably be looking at one of three boards (which you would like is dealers choice. ;) ). You have the ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer, the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 or the MSI Z97-G45 GAMING. All of these boards are good quality, cost around the same price and while they are not going to win awards for overclocking, they will allow you to squeeze more out of your equipment without becoming unstable.

By doing this you are also (Assuming you were going for the £155 X99S SLI PLUS version of the MSI board) saving yourself around another £50.

GPU: I am going to assume that the 760 was a typo for the 960 here, seeing as the 760 actually costs more than a 960 now. :) You didn't say which 960 you were looking at, but as you are concerned with the cost I am going to assume it is one of the more sensibly priced models like the Gigabyte GTX 960 ITX Overclocked which is custom cooled to keep the noise down, but still not picking your pocket.

Now that card is around the £165 mark, and if we take the £90 we have saved by changing the mobo and CPU, that gives you around £255. With an extra £10 you could get something like a Zotac GTX 970 4GB and kick those games right in the family jewels. :D

Plus you still have a second PCI-e slot available should you want to slot another 970 in there for SLI at a later date.

Now that is getting the best 'bang for buck' gaming experience. ;)

EDIT:
This is of course using UK prices and products as examples, but shop around a bit in your country and be ruthless when choosing parts. Do you really need bling bit A on part 1, or would part 2 give me the same performance for less cash allowing me to put it into another area that would be of more benefit?
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Captain

Postby Captain » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Great feed back fellow Citizens! :D
One thing I also consider is HEAT.
Heat will cause components to fail prematurely, or even slowly lockup on you. That's one reason I have been looking closer at the new Water Cooled GPU's. AMD has had one for awhile now, but it looks like NIVIDIA and others are jumping on the water Cool wagon. They even claim that since they run cooler, you can get higher performance than some of their current "Fan-Cooler" Big Boys.
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/PNY-Debuts-Water-Cooled-XLR8-GTX-580-Graphics-Card-2.jpg
However, since these are new, the price is at a premium too. Maybe with some good competition, prices will fall some by June/July time frame. Or if nothing else, the High-end Fan-cooled one's will drop... just have to make sure I've got a extra 3 or 4 fans in the box!
====================
One last thing: SSD
I am told that Samsung 840 EVO is the model that is setting the bar on performance and Longevity.....?
But again, I see we have "MC" in the market now, and they are claiming some pretty amazing number's on their latest SDD tech. Something on the order of 80 - 350% faster and more durable....
==============
AGAIN - Thanks for all the good feedback.
ImageImage Fleet: SS MINOTAUR (Recl'r), SS BADGER, SS MYSTIC (Orion), SS NUTCRACKER (F7C/M), SS WARLOCK (C'ack), SS BULLET (Vgard), SS STARFLYER (MIS), SS ZODIAC, SS LUGNUT & SS WINGNUT
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 pm

If you do go water cooling for the graphics, do yourself a huge favor, get no drip quick disconnects.
Quick disconnects add a lot of clutter, but it is a lot, and I stress A LOT better then tearing down your entire loop when there is an issue.
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 pm

Need to replace my mouse (no, not with Nikki's cat though willing donate the mouse to feed it :P )

Looking at Naga: would MMO style or "action" style be better or does it matter? Both have more buttons than I could finger :shock:
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Pathagarus wrote:Need to replace my mouse (no, not with Nikki's cat though willing donate the mouse to feed it :P )

Looking at Naga: would MMO style or "action" style be better or does it matter? Both have more buttons than I could finger :shock:

Can't comment on the Naga's as I have never used one. Although in my experience, I have found the FPS/Action mice to be more than adequate for any style of play. You have less buttons to worry about hitting by accident when you are doing fast paced things too imo. :)

One I can recommend as I have used it myself is the Corsair M65 mouse.

Although my current mouse isn't even a gaming mouse. As long as it is of a good quality with decent DPI, I don't find it matters that much really. I find how comfortable it is in the hand for long gaming sessions to be more important tbh. Nothing worse than achey hand syndrome while playing.
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks Solaias; achy hand is a definite bad thing in my experience :)

Return to “Hardware”