Sleeving

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
Waxman

Sleeving

Postby Waxman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:08 am

Does anyone have experience with sleeving external cables?

Going to sleeve my DVI and HDMI cables.

Maybe youtube

Any advice would be appreciated
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
Eris

Re: Sleeving

Postby Eris » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:02 pm

I have to admit that I don't even know what you are talking about. Do you mean putting the cables into some sort of sleeve that is supposed to block RF interference or something?
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Close, But it requires putting the cables into a colored sleeve like you do with power supply cables and internal cables.

Did some preliminary research late last night while far cry 4 was downloading. And I've come to the conclusion that DVI connectors are just to large to get regular bitzpower ultra tight weave on them so I'll have to go with HDMI and Display port, always used DVI in the past. DVI just seamed a more secure connection for monitors. HDMI or toslink to receiver but DVI to monitors.
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:26 am

I have lots of experience in wrapping and routing cables. In Aviation and electronics. What you need?
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I wanted a clean look when I finish my system. I just have no experience with the products, other then bitspower ultra tight.
I'm thinking I can sleeve my Display port cables with 1/2 inch and the USB as well. Not sure if 1/2 will fit over the hdmi ends.

And I'd have to use F6 cable wrap for DVI cables and that is the wrong color.
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:09 pm

The biggest issue with sleeving is it's designed to build harnesses. For routing and management I recommend plastic wrap. As a contractor we referred to it as curly wrap. It comes in various sizes and colors. It's important to apply the correct size so as to get a snug wrap. The biggest thing I hated about plastic wrap is the ends don't secure tightly. I solve that problem with a small piece of F4 tape wrapped around each end.

F4 tape is also great for cable management. It adheres to itself so there isn't any adhesive touching wires/cables (a very bad thing). Negative points are that you must cut it off to remove it. I don't recommend that to anyone without experience. Also it doesn't come in colors that aid in management and recognition.

Tie wraps (zip ties) are also good and they come in various sizes and colors. The negatives are pointed sharp ends if you don't have a tie wrap gun. And you must cut them off to remove them. Again I don't recommend this to anyone without experience.

Wax string is one of the oldest and neatest methods for harness building and cable management. You need to be taught how to do it properly and there are no colors to aid in recognition. Plus you must also cut this product off. It is the riskiest of all to cut off. I highly do not recommend this to anyone without experience.

My order of recommendations from best to worse:

Plastic Wrap
Tie Wrap (easiest to apply)
F4 Tape (No colors)
Wax String (Difficult to apply, no colors)
Cloth Tape (outdated)

I don't include sleeves because it is mainly designed for harness building. Built cables or harnesses already have plugs/connectors attached and don't fit through sleeves correctly sized for the harness.

I wish I could get you some of the mil spec curly wrap. It is by far superior to the civilian version of it. But I am out of reach here in Nebraska. *sigh*

I also recommend using tie wrap anchors. They are adhesive backed and stick extremely well. Use them in conjunction with any management system you use. That way you can pull and secure cables out of the way and make them route where you want them to. Sometimes tie wraps squish plastic wrap in an undesirable way. You can use wax string with the anchors as well and provide a very clean anchoring solution.

A note of caution. Be careful about bend radius. Most people never take this into account. Most people thing you can just bend any wire or cable to any degree you want. This is a false assumption. If it doesn't outright break the conductor it can adversely effect the dielectric of the conductor. Generally if you stick to no less that 50 deg. bend you'll be ok.

Second note of caution. It is not a good practice to coil extra cable and tie it together. They can induce a RF field which has the risk of creating interference. This bad practice was extremely noticeable with the CRT monitors. Thank god they're gone. But the RF field is still there even if you can't see it.
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

A few additions to my previous post.

Using string is clean and is really useful for anchoring. But it isn't necessary to buy the specialty stuff. Waxed floss will work just as well. And is a lot cheaper. You want waxed so first knot stays tight until you top knot it.

F4 tape to secure the ends of plastic wrap makes a clean finish. Using electrical tape works really well and you can buy it in colors to match the plastic wrap. I didn't mention it before because it's prohibited for use in aviation. Just ensure it doesn't come into contact with wires or cables. It leaves sticky behind and makes a mess, plus it is corrosive.

I like to also tag my cables. Medical tape can be written on with a fine tip marker or pen. Taped around the end to clean up the end of your plastic wrap makes for clean management and connector identification.

When using tie wraps it is best to use a tie wrap gun as it tightens to a calibrated tightness and cuts the end off flush to the bayonet block of the tie wrap. They are a specialty tool however and a bit pricey. Doing it by hand works too. To cut off the ends you should buy a pair of 'flush cut' diagonal wire cutters. You can tell if they are flush cut by turning them over and looking at the back. There won't be a bevel on the cutting edges. Normal diagonal cutters leave a sharp pointed end which will cut you when reaching in next to your cables. Not pleasant.
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Eris wrote:I have to admit that I don't even know what you are talking about. Do you mean putting the cables into some sort of sleeve that is supposed to block RF interference or something?

Actually there is a wire braid sleeve that is designed to do just that. But as long as you don't wrap closely with power wires you won't need to be concerned with it. Most computer data lines have a filter on them. That big plastic block on the cable near the end is a filter.
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 am

These are all good points, CE.

In the real world I deal with cable management on a daily basis. Granted 22/2c to 12/2c is much bigger, and jacketed, than what is in use in PSUs and interface connectors however I find that using velcro, cut in whatever lengths you need, are quite handy in almost any routing situation.

Getting the zip tie stick ons, as you stated above, and using the small 4 inch ties to secure the velcro is a neat trick too if you're CDO about it. Okay... OCD for those not blessed.

Rolls of velcro can be picked up at most low voltage distributors where ever you are. You can also get the stick ons, zip ties, and plastic spiral cable wrapping. I do not recommend the spiral wrapping in a PC application though as it really does take up too much space to use effectively.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A

Return to “Hardware”