not a good day

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
mohoc

Re: not a good day

Postby mohoc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Good. Did you overclock it? A good starting point for the 970s seems to be +200/+200.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Waxman wrote:
mohoc wrote:Congratz!

Just a tip for when you change over to X99: Avoid the Gigabyte UD motherboards. They are more trouble than it is worth. The Bios is crap and the quality of the board is even worse.

The MSI and Asus boards are great though.

That's great advice

And on another note the card works, the Digital audio is FUBAR for some weird reason, but I'm not using that anyways. Just put it in this morning and the card booted right up

Glad to hear the card is working! Don't worry about the digital audio. Does anyone actually use that?
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Captain Glume wrote:
Waxman wrote:

Just a tip for when you change over to X99: Avoid the Gigabyte UD motherboards. They are more trouble than it is worth. The Bios is crap and the quality of the board is even worse.

That's great advice

And on another note the card works, the Digital audio is FUBAR for some weird reason, but I'm not using that anyways. Just put it in this morning and the card booted right up

Glad to hear the card is working! Don't worry about the digital audio. Does anyone actually use that?

Not unless I am listening to a quest giver.

:)
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:18 pm

I actually use it all the time. It's the best way to get 7.1 (not the only way) but as my 7.1 receiver popped last year I only have a 5.1 so I put in my Phoebus 5.1 sound card I had laying around.
Not bad sound at all, not going to stay with it though

Most likely a directx reinstall or a windows reset will fix the sound, it's a low priority right now
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
Eris

Postby Eris » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Waxman wrote:

That's great advice

I don't think I've ever even tried to use digital audio from a video card. I'm not even sure what you are supposed to plug it in to.
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:22 am

Both display port and HDMI carry audio as well as video. ATI now AMD Video cards since the radeon 3000 series have HDMI Nvidia cards 200 series and up have HDMI as well. Display port is rather new.

Some of the monitors you buy have built in speakers, these for the most part are junk. (As are tv speakers)

1997 and newer Home Theater Receivers have HDMI Latest receivers have HDMI 2.0 which supports 4K @ 60hz
No receiver has Display port and probably will never have a display port. Could be wrong but HDMI is licensed and many companies get monetary gains from each port on a device. Display port is open source.

HDMI is great, it carries high bandwidth compressed or uncompressed lossless audio formats such as Dolby HD Master Audio and DTSTrue HD
One cable is all you need.

DTS connect is being added to some motherboards and the included Dolby Home Theater v4 is good to great audio.

Display port is fine audio, virtually identical to HDMI. Technically, one cable is all you require, but since monitors have such bad speakers. (Those that have speakers built in) A separate audio cable is needed to get good audio

Thunderbolt audio is the latest to bring audio devices pc connectivity

Because I can't get my HDMI port to give audio I am relegated to 5.1 lossy upscaled audio from TOSLINK (optical). Not bad audio at all.

I ordered my second 970 friday and hopefully will Have HDMI audio, if not either I have old HDMI ports on my receiver or I have yet to find the bios function on my cards. Or I have to wait and see with DX 12

Changed my spdif out in my bios to HDMI
Pretty sure this wouldn't help because x79 has no on board HDMI. Not even sure why this was even in the bios?
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Just Hooked up sli, configured.
Now have to plug in audio

Update: all configured now
good to go
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 am

Digital audio working now, receiver is not up to the task apparently. Is it July yet? I want my 7.1. Bad
HDMI port on 9** series - HDMI 2.0
HDMI port on Onkyo 333 - HDMI 1.0
333 was a temporary replacement anyways, was scheduled to be replaced in July, but 2.0 spdif will just have to do. VH226 speakers on monitor are beyond sucky do do.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:27 am

I gave up using my speakers, I get better sound out of my headphones and I don't annoy the neighbours.

Speakers: Corsair SP2500

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558

Headphones I'd like if I was rich. No, not rich, stupid rich: Audeze LCD-3
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for the links, but I loath headsets. There are only one or two headsets that sound as good as my speakers.

I have almost got super hearing, Spock hearing or dog hearing lol. So headset drive me nuts because if they are not able to play stupidly high audio, I always hear the whine.

Return to “Hardware”