Oculus DK2 starts shipping

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
mohoc

Re: Oculus DK2 starts shipping

Postby mohoc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 am

Fettered wrote:I'm still personally holding out for the commercial version, but I love that people are essentially beta testing these. I do wonder about the use of peripherals with the Oculus, I read a great article arguing that more should be done with the Xbox kinect to help reduce the need for peripherals, which made me think about how hard it would be to manage a keyboard, mouse, flight stick and anything else, while not being able to actually see any of these.

It is not to bad. I got my set up from left to right like this:
Throttle, Keyboard, Stick, Mouse

DK2 and Headset on my head. Pedals at my feet.

I am using Voice Attack with this setup in E:D and it has been a blast. No issues with trying to find my buttons after about 20 minutes. I can blind type, so that is not an issue for me either.

Oh, and don't buy one just for SC/E:D. Wait for the commercial version. The current DK2 still has issues with smaller text and a slight screen door effect. Not much software works with it at the moment.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 pm

It sounds like the consumer version will be a winner. Oh I hope it is good. I wants one bad... I just hope I don't get sick... :roll:
mohoc

Postby mohoc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 am

Captain Glume wrote:It sounds like the consumer version will be a winner. Oh I hope it is good. I wants one bad... I just hope I don't get sick... :roll:

Funny thing about the Rift. If I am sitting in the game, I don't get sick and can play for hours. If my avatar is walking around, I get sick in about 5 minutes.
Akaroc

Postby Akaroc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Just got my DK2 working with Elite Dangerous last night and words can not explain just how much I freaked out. Seeing that cockpit for the first time in 3d with full head tracking blew my mind. It is amazing the details you notice both inside of the cockpit and also out in space once everything has depth to it. Was almost salivating at the thought of how much better Star Citizen will likely look once they patch AC to work with the 4.0 SDK.

May need to take an extra day or two off work once they give me access to my Idris just so that I can recover from the visual overload that I am sure to be impacted by due to its epic'ness. If a small single seater cockpit in ED can look that amazing.....not sure I will be able to handle exploring the various rooms on a frigate in SC using VR without melting.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:08 pm

mohoc wrote:
Captain Glume wrote:It sounds like the consumer version will be a winner. Oh I hope it is good. I wants one bad... I just hope I don't get sick... :roll:

Funny thing about the Rift. If I am sitting in the game, I don't get sick and can play for hours. If my avatar is walking around, I get sick in about 5 minutes.

Makes sense. Your brain is in sync with your body when your sitting down but when your 'walking' in game your body isn't moving so you "must" be falling over and it freaks. Those 360deg treadmills would solve that. But people say 80% get over that sick feeling.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Akaroc wrote:Just got my DK2 working with Elite Dangerous last night and words can not explain just how much I freaked out. Seeing that cockpit for the first time in 3d with full head tracking blew my mind. It is amazing the details you notice both inside of the cockpit and also out in space once everything has depth to it. Was almost salivating at the thought of how much better Star Citizen will likely look once they patch AC to work with the 4.0 SDK.

May need to take an extra day or two off work once they give me access to my Idris just so that I can recover from the visual overload that I am sure to be impacted by due to its epic'ness. If a small single seater cockpit in ED can look that amazing.....not sure I will be able to handle exploring the various rooms on a frigate in SC using VR without melting.

Yes, it is going to be Epic. Just simply Epic... The fact that you can lean in and have a closer look and it will stay in rez and be all 3d will be truly mind blowing.
mohoc

Postby mohoc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:38 pm

Akaroc wrote:Just got my DK2 working with Elite Dangerous last night and words can not explain just how much I freaked out. Seeing that cockpit for the first time in 3d with full head tracking blew my mind. It is amazing the details you notice both inside of the cockpit and also out in space once everything has depth to it. Was almost salivating at the thought of how much better Star Citizen will likely look once they patch AC to work with the 4.0 SDK.

Yeah, and the sad thing is that your words don't do it justice. VR cannot be described, it has to be experienced.

Return to “Hardware”