Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
tanis

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby tanis » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 am

Captain Glume,
You may want to look at the Obutto cockpits if funding is sufficient, you are able to get down and up easily enough, and you fit the seat. Several reviewers have mentioned not using their desktops anymore after getting one that was "just for gaming".

It is my plan to get an Obutto Ozone, but I don't have it yet, I just know a common comment from every reviewer that isn't really heavy is "the chair is really comfortable".

Their U.S. distributor is here: http://www.mainperformancepc.com/catego ... -cockpits/
Akaroc

Postby Akaroc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:44 am

Having used my Obutto R3volution for several months, I can confirm that I really don't like sitting at a traditional desk while at work. If my office IT team would let me...I would likely replace my desk at work with an Obutto as well.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:25 pm

With having to buy 2 new cars this month I've had to put all that on hold. :evil: But rest assured I will get back to it and it will be mine!
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Ok, today I ordered:

Saitek X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
    Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System 14 Button w/ Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant & Integrated USB Hub
    Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals SELF-CENTERING Pedals With Adjustable Foot Rest USB

I will be using the Throttle from the X-55 in place of the Quadrant unit for the Yoke. This should give me the perfect non combat flight controls.

I also have a large trackball for turrets and a Razer Sabertooth for FPS and general use.

Once I pool up some more funds I'll look into getting a cockpit of some sort. Hopefully by then we will have a much better idea of auxiliary display support etc to really make it shine. Of course I want the Rift for the full experience.
Pappy

Postby Pappy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Sofar my X55 works perfectly.
Aldo i have seen some reviews on things breaking on it especially the leds in the throtle.
But seeing i dont use them should be fine.
Also my x55 isn't directly linked to my pc but to the strike 7 keyboard wich is also from saitek/MadCatz.
Rudders i'm still conflicted over wich to buy.
I hear the saitek ones are a bit stiff even on the softest setting.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 pm

The pedals are pretty stiff. A bit frustrating really. Though I've heard there are mods you can do to help that.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 am

Captain Glume wrote:The pedals are pretty stiff. A bit frustrating really. Though I've heard there are mods you can do to help that.

They will probably loosen a little with use as well.
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 pm

I hope so, I keep working them off and on to see if they will loosen up. I should have bought the $600 ones but I got the $140 ones. Who knows, IF I find I use them tones and they are not fine control enough I still may. But dogfighting is not my thing so I am looking forward to see how the larger craft work. Mining and landing etc are the real tests for me. Oh and JP navigation.

I tried my first coop Vanduul game this weekend at Waxman's event. I was totally utterly useless but I did learn some important play testing info for my HOTAY. Like I really need to play the throttle in a better spot, but the thing is massive. The yoke could use some more buttons, something I could add as I can internalize the quadrant controls and run them though the yoke I bet. Shield functions on two 4 way controls worked really well. (Port, Starboard, fore, aft, top, bottom, reset to default and go to HUD shield control screen. I then needed one more button to go back to HUD Overview. That really helped in making quick changes based on need. So something like the Idris it could be very useful. But still lots of figuring out of course.

I need to open up my throttle and remove the friction system. that thing hardens up so bad you just can't make fine adjustments making it less then useful...
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Captain Glume wrote:I hope so, I keep working them off and on to see if they will loosen up. I should have bought the $600 ones but I got the $140 ones. Who knows, IF I find I use them tones and they are not fine control enough I still may. But dogfighting is not my thing so I am looking forward to see how the larger craft work. Mining and landing etc are the real tests for me. Oh and JP navigation.

I tried my first coop Vanduul game this weekend at Waxman's event. I was totally utterly useless but I did learn some important play testing info for my HOTAY. Like I really need to play the throttle in a better spot, but the thing is massive. The yoke could use some more buttons, something I could add as I can internalize the quadrant controls and run them though the yoke I bet. Shield functions on two 4 way controls worked really well. (Port, Starboard, fore, aft, top, bottom, reset to default and go to HUD shield control screen. I then needed one more button to go back to HUD Overview. That really helped in making quick changes based on need. So something like the Idris it could be very useful. But still lots of figuring out of course.

I need to open up my throttle and remove the friction system. that thing hardens up so bad you just can't make fine adjustments making it less then useful...

The scroll wheel on the left of the base increases or decreases the tension. If you're using the X55 throttle that is. Dialing it all the way down makes it super smooth with almost no resistance.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:48 pm

einnyen wrote:The scroll wheel on the left of the base increases or decreases the tension. If you're using the X55 throttle that is. Dialing it all the way down makes it super smooth with almost no resistance.

If yours is like that then I am envious. Mine is stiff as hell for 3 or 4 cycles then goes smooth. But tightens back up if left for any length of time. From reading various forums it seems it is due to the 'stuff' they use being incorrectly placed and has gotten into other areas. I don't feel like going though the RMA horror so I'll just deal with it myself. My silver spinner knob also doesn't spin freely so I'll have to figure out how to deal with that... I never even plugged in the joystick part so I have no idea if that is ok, I don't care but I'll give it to a friend that wants to double stick it.

Return to “Hardware”