Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Tell us about your computer and share advice with people planning upgrade
mohoc
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby mohoc » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Reaper wrote:And don't forget that voice command software as well Hotas,voice command,pedals,rift = all the win


I am using that setup for ED right now. I need a cockpit chair setup though. It is to much gear with inconvenient cable management around my desk.

Thinking of buying one of these: http://www.volairsim.com/Home.php
User avatar
Reaper
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Dublin,Ireland

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Reaper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Thats nice i am going to make my own it will be just a seat with everything attached stay tuned!
Image
Waxman
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 pm
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Waxman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 am

Reaper wrote:Thats nice i am going to make my own it will be just a seat with everything attached stay tuned!


That was the route I had originally intended. But I decided that a multi purpose desk that I can also use for other things (designing my inventions, modding and general busy work) would be better.
My desk is going to made from cast iron tube, for strength and the industrial look. and dark wood surfaces, chair will be integrated into the desk. I will overlay distressed leather on the sides, and integrate ambient lighting and my ATOM 7.1 Surround Sound. A control panel will control all my components via military switches. and my HOTAS unit will deploy using actuators mounted under the surface of the desk. In the base of the hutch will be a place for my Oculus rift, a pair of good gaming headphones , a center channel speaker, two tablets,a charging station, and a drawer for miscellaneous items. Above that will be a six monitor setup. 3 in 4k. One auxiliary monitor for temp monitoring. One for my server. and the last one for whatever, Stocks, Sports, News.
Above the monitors will be a small shelf for physical Star Citizen Wing Commander Items.

But I digress and I had no intention of hijacking this thread.
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
User avatar
Eris
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Eris » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Waxman wrote:
Reaper wrote:Thats nice i am going to make my own it will be just a seat with everything attached stay tuned!


That was the route I had originally intended. But I decided that a multi purpose desk that I can also use for other things (designing my inventions, modding and general busy work) would be better.
My desk is going to made from cast iron tube, for strength and the industrial look. and dark wood surfaces, chair will be integrated into the desk. I will overlay distressed leather on the sides, and integrate ambient lighting and my ATOM 7.1 Surround Sound. A control panel will control all my components via military switches. and my HOTAS unit will deploy using actuators mounted under the surface of the desk. In the base of the hutch will be a place for my Oculus rift, a pair of good gaming headphones , a center channel speaker, two tablets,a charging station, and a drawer for miscellaneous items. Above that will be a six monitor setup. 3 in 4k. One auxiliary monitor for temp monitoring. One for my server. and the last one for whatever, Stocks, Sports, News.
Above the monitors will be a small shelf for physical Star Citizen Wing Commander Items.

But I digress and I had no intention of hijacking this thread.


Man, if you really build that please post both pictures and instructions!
Image
Waxman
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 pm
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Waxman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:22 pm

I am going to build that. I have spend the last year doing mockups on my computer and diagramming it to the inth degree.
Its in the budget for early next year.

I designed a desk that can easily be taken apart for moving, can be reconfigured for easy placement, Main Components (Audio receiver, Desktop, Blu-ray player) can easily be changed from side to side without loosing functionality.

I hate cords and cable showing (They are in the way, my cat adores them, plus they are fugly). So Cable management is integral to every compartment. You will not see a cable when a external component is not being used. This includes the 7.1 audio and the four overhead Atom Speakers. False back to route cables from pc to other components. False back also has the space for thick 6 AWG speaker cables.

Every computer guy/gal knows that heat is the enemy of electronics, but we have need of the best. With the best comes heat and high end audio or electronic cabinets have adequate cooling, but to buy a special cabinet can cost a lot of money.
Integrated into the desk is an audio cabinet with higher then standard cooling. Push pull air flow with dust filters on the audio cabinet. Silent, because fan noise is the enemy of any serious gamer.

Every Gamer has a need for surround and immersion that draws them into the would before them. With room for up to six monitors, this desk does just that. And lets talk of the heat that those monitors generate. there is a dedicated heat channel built into the desk. Powered by a silent push pull fan system with dust filters keeps cool air flowing into your monitors and draw the hot exhaust out the top where it can then be routed to the outside of the building via an exhaust vent.

The chair is custom fitted to each individual. Covered in rich plush Leather complete with Kidney, Lumbar, Leg, and back air bags that can be inflated or deflated to provide that custom support a person may need. Centralized hydraulic chair support provides the height adjustment and tilt support. Swivel locks provide the stability from inadvertent swivel from using pedals and general body movements. Integrated seat and back heat and cooling. And integrated for point harness points. Built in retractable automen for those times when just chillen at your desk.

The control panel is faced with high quality aluminum and has a 35mm exhaust fan to keep the heat away. 12 switches to control all of your devices. Flip down acrylic lid to prevent unwanted switching. Mounted for either left or right handed individuals.

Full support for full Traditional HOTAS units (Stick, throttle, pedals) and placements for Yokes and steering wheels. Storage compartment under desktop hood for those devices (2). Pedals swing up into the false back when not in use. Stick storage compartment extends and retracts via small electronic actuators. Throttle storage compartment extends and retracts via small electronic actuators. Keyboard storage compartment extends and retracts via small electronic actuators. Mouse storage compartment extends and retracts via small electronic actuators. All are supported by high capacity metal extender supports. Auxilary controller storage operated by manually pushing the matte black cover away from the compartment. Two removable swing arms that you can mount your tablets, smartphone, camera. Charging station integrated in base of Hutch with a 35mm exhaust fan.
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
ScrappyHorse
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby ScrappyHorse » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:31 am

so, yes! basically building a cockpit with all the extras. I want full immersion too. currently use HOTAS and VA. next upgrades will be rudder pedals and TrackIR.

also, if I can ever find the means to do it,, i would really like to build an entire command deck. I am talking 5 stations and all my friends sitting there together operating something BIG,, Idris, IDK, whatever. that would just be the most fun ever, i think.

its a dream.. but you never know whats around the corner. maybe it will happen.
Waxman
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 pm
Location: Albuquerque New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Waxman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 pm

ScrappyHorse wrote:so, yes! basically building a cockpit with all the extras. I want full immersion too. currently use HOTAS and VA. next upgrades will be rudder pedals and TrackIR.

also, if I can ever find the means to do it,, i would really like to build an entire command deck. I am talking 5 stations and all my friends sitting there together operating something BIG,, Idris, IDK, whatever. that would just be the most fun ever, i think.

its a dream.. but you never know whats around the corner. maybe it will happen.


That's a good dream
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
User avatar
Reaper
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Dublin,Ireland

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Reaper » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 am

Step it up a notch and think Oculas Rift with this...
Image
User avatar
Reaper
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm
Location: Dublin,Ireland

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Reaper » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:31 am

This video explains it better ;)

Last edited by Reaper on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Captain Glume
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

Re: Let's build a gaming cockpit!

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:50 am

Wow. That is pretty wild.
Image

Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest