Eris

Advocacy Person Of Interest: "Vanduul" Veronica Toguri

Postby Eris » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 am

Eris

Re: Advocacy Person Of Interest: "Vanduul" Veronica Toguri

Postby Eris » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:59 am

RUSH TRANSCRIPT

"Vanduul" Veronica, Broadcast One

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! My name is Veronica, and this is ... The Real Truth!

Welcome to the inaugural broadcast of the The Real Truth, the only source of factual information about the Vanduul and the Empire's merciless persecution of them. If you want to know what's really going on in the Empire, then tune in here each week and let Veronica fill you in!

Now I'm sure that most of you have been brought up to believe that the Vanduul are monsters who hunt down and kill humans for sport. You've probably heard stories of fierce fighting, and everyone knows of the awful tragedy at Armitage. Tens of thousands of humans died as well as thousands of Vanduul who gave their lives defending their world.

Whoa, did I just say that the Vanduul were the defenders? You bet I did! You see, Armitage was a Vanduul world for hundreds of years before the Empire showed up and arrogantly claimed the planet for itself. The Empire immediately set about transforming the planet into the typical kind of industrial world so favored by the UEE. A planet that had been kept ecologically pristine by it's Vanduul caretakers ever since it's discovery so many centuries ago. You see, the Vanduul don't destroy ecosystems the way the Empire does with it's reckless terraforming operations. Instead, the Vanduul carefully preserve the native life of the worlds they care for, so when they found sprawling urban centers springing up on Armitage they reacted with fury, and rightfully so! The Empire had not only stolen their world, it was also going out of it's way to displace the native ecology with Earth life.

After months of fighting, the Empire rightfully decided to withdraw the colonists, but then in a last gasp of petty spitefulness, the Imperator ordered the destruction of the the entire ecosystem of the planet through global bombardment with anti-matter bombs! This barbaric act of desecration set the tone for all Human-Vanduul encounters in the future, and the Vanduul - whose culture venerates nature - took the lesson to heart. They have mistrusted humanity ever since, seeing us as a danger to the very continued existence of life in the galaxy.

Thankfully, though, time heals all wounds, and today's Vanduul leaders have come to see that humanity is not evil. Rather we suffer under the tyrany of the few who control the government of the UEE. These wise elders of the Vanduul people have been quietly working behind the scenes to find humans who are willing to work together with them to free humanity from it's oppressors.

That's how I came to be where I am now. When my cargo ship was disabled by an engine failure a few years ago, I was in deep space in an empty system on the edge of the Empire with no one to call to for help. I drifted for days before my scanners picked up a ship, and to my horror I saw it was a Vanduul ship. I thought I was dead. But instead of attacking, they cautiously approached and hailed me. I had no idea what he said because I didn't speak a word of Vanduul at the time, but I was smart enough to recognize my one chance at survival, so I responded. We communicated through hand drawn pictures over the vid-comm. Eventually it became clear that he was offering help, so I agreed to let him take me under tow - and he towed me right onto the flight deck of a Vanduul carrier!

It was frightening, let me tell you! But over the next few days I began to pick up a few words of the language and we began to communicate in earnest. They offered to fix my ship and let me go, but the trading instincts in me convinced me to stay and try to open up a real dialog with the Vanduul. Days turned to weeks, and weeks turned to months. Eventually I realized that I enjoyed living among them and they enjoyed having me around too! I remained with them and travelled among them learning all I could until eventually I was brought before one of their leaders who spoke to me of his desire to free humanity from it's miserable state and bring about peace between our races.

And so that's how I came to be here, aboard the Crimson Blade, broadcasting to you to let you know the Real Truth about the Vanduul. They aren't monsters. They are an ancient star faring species who have been traveling the galaxy for thousands of years. They are caretakers of scores of garden worlds, carefully avoiding any interference in the local ecology, taking only what little they need to survive. They are masters of reuse and recycling, never letting anything go to waste. And yes, they are fierce warriors who never hesitate to defend their worlds or their fleets.

Make no mistake: any conflict with the Vanduul is one that the Vanduul will win. They really are that good! But they do not want conflict. They want all races of the galaxy to live in peace and harmony. And now, through me and through this show, they are reaching out to the human race to offer the hand of friendship. Please join us and together we can free humankind from oppression and travel the stars together as sisters and brothers. Because the Vanduul are not the enemy. The Imperator is!

This is Vanduul Veronica, signing off. Stay safe, and keep asking questions!
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Very very nice job on that!

My only nit is you used not yet illegally when it is, it is just not yet criminal.

I love all the backstory we are making. I so NEED to get my backstory down. I've had it in my head for a year now! :|
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:42 pm

I just like the fact that I am wanted by the Communications Commission.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I know! The queen of misdemeanours!
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Looks like one of your character's back stories is shaping up pretty good.

:)

Return to “Fan Fiction”