Avengers, Bengals and Hornets! OH MY!

The first step is admitting that there is no problem.
captain easy

Avengers, Bengals and Hornets! OH MY!

Postby captain easy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Even as a child growing up I had a love for games. Everyone knew what to get me for Christmas and birthdays.

One day I played a game called Asteroids. A 2d game in Newtonian space. I loved it! I was completely hooked on the idea of a game in space. What intrigued me the most were the possibilities. I dreamt of a game in the future that would actually allow me to pilot a starship. As the years passed by developers and programmers fulfilled my desire for a starship with games like Elite, Wingman and Freelancer, plus many others. Unfortunately they revealed a deeper desire for a real universe. One in which I could enter my ship, actually fly out/off of a landing space. Space flight that was in real space, not arcade space. Dogfights with realistic ships, controls and weapons systems. To be able to land on a planet, visit a city or explore the surface. Multi-crew ships manned with actual players! Space stations that I can walk around in. To be able to walk into a location and actually interact with other space farers through conversation or engage in combat. Truly explore space.

It seemed like this would eventually happen. Then one day three years ago I read an in-depth article predicting the demise of PC games due to the advent of consoles and their popularity. Quotes by developers stating, “The move to consoles is inevitable due to the diminishing numbers of PC gamers.” It seemed my dream of a universe simulation was not to be.

About this time I had to come out of retirement to save the family company. Working 16-18 hours a day, seven days a week, left little time for anything else.

Fast forward to November, 2014. The family company is saved and I can go back into retirement. I find myself with a stack of unopened games to catch up on. As I am trying to decide which one to start with I think to myself, “Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a new space sim out there?” I’d been out of touch for almost three years. So I decided it wouldn’t hurt to search and see what’s out there.

Enter the discovery of Star Citizen in my life! And not just a space sim but a universe like the one I had dreamt of. And it is becoming a reality because of people with the same dream as mine. The fact that I could participate in the backing and creation of this universe was beyond anything I ever imagined. I immediately pledged and began to soak up all that I could. I took a break to sit down with the wife to tell her of my discovery. Her only response was, “Will I ever see you again?”

Fast forward to today. I’ve already spent thousands on the game. My current PC build will play SC but not optimally. So I’ve budgeted another $5,000 dollars for a new build. All of this to play one game that doesn’t even get released for another year and a half. And I want every ship and every item.

Am I addicted? If not looking for a cure is denial, then I’m in denial. I don’t think the idea of intravenous feeding while plugged into Star Citizen is crazy. I probably would if I could. I have a stack of games totaling almost a thousand dollars that I haven’t even opened yet. All I want to play is Arena Commander.

If being a Star Citizen is an addiction, then I confess, I am addicted.
einnyen

Re: Avengers, Bengals and Hornets! OH MY!

Postby einnyen » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 am

Welcome to our little starbase asylum, good sir.

It would seem that you will fit in quite nicely with the rest of the inmates, err, i mean members.

I hadn't thought of the IV before. You know... My wife was a nurse at a prior point in life and still have quite a few connections in the health care industry. I might be able to make this a reality on the weekends...
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:39 am

Welcome.

I take it you've never had an IV in. There not desirable.

Anywhoo, I too (a lot of people are) building a new computer for SC I have built one and am in a never ending cycle of upgrades for my main one, wouldn't have it any other way. I have 3 more to build/help build and a simpit/immersion desk to build as well.

So it be cool to have someone to bounce info off of.
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 am

Looking forward to build comparison and technique with you. It always pays to compare notes. The best trick is to never stop learning. Although my current build isn't 'bad', it isn't bad ass. I look forward to our impending conversations.
captain easy

Postby captain easy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 am

@Waxman
Forgot to mention. I went to High School in Ruidoso. 8-)
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Good to have you, My build is with 2 760 4GB SC cards, which I will up grade once the game goes live.
Waxman

Postby Waxman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:25 pm

captain easy wrote:@Waxman
Forgot to mention. I went to High School in Ruidoso. 8-)

My great Grandad had a cabin up there, we used to stay up there in the butt cold of winter. Screened in bedrooms on the porch!! BRRRR!
ImageImageMaster of the Hunt

Return to “Confessions of a Star Citizen Addict”