Addiction is such a nasty word...

The first step is admitting that there is no problem.
Wilhelm Sturmer

Addiction is such a nasty word...

Postby Wilhelm Sturmer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 pm

My knowledge and addict, a-hem, dedicated support of Star Citizen started November 16th, 2012. I was reading one of my favorite online comics, Ctrl-Alt-Del, and came to the comments section where the author of the comic opened my eyes to Chris Roberts newest vision. I was immediately hooked. I remember thinking around that same time that I really wanted a new space sim, but had not come across anything in the scratch-the-surface searches I had run. Star Citizen promised the Earth, Moon, solar system... the universe. Normally, I would have scoffed. I'd seen similar promises from other noteworthy developers, only to have them fall short. This was Chris Roberts, though. I knew instantly that if he could get the funding, he would deliver on initial and future promises.

My first package was the Bounty Hunter - LTI package for $60 on Nov. 23 (I think I had to wait until payday). I rationalized that I would spend $60 for a great AAA game off the shelf, so supporting that much was a no brainer.

February of 2013, I bought an Aurora and three skins.

Then in March, I started my Imperator subscription. I knew I wouldn't have the kind of money to through at this game that I wanted to, but a monthly subscription really made me feel like I was part of the development process, even if in a tiny way. Unfortunately, I had to cut that off last month due to financial constraints.

April, I upgraded the Aurora to an LX.

In Sept, I melted the Bounty Hunter and got an Arbiter - LTI package with another skin and 20k UEC. And then I went and bought an Avenger.

In October of 2013, I upgraded the Aurora again to the LN. The end of that same month, I fell in love with the Avenger, but had no money to get it. So I melted all my packages and used the credit to get the Weekend Warrior - LTI package.

That's where my ship buying has stopped, unfortunately. Being the sole income in a house of 5 (soon to be 7) keeps me from having much disposable income. However, along the way, I've also bought the F7A Military Hornet upgrade, three t-shirts, a polo, hoodie, Jump Point volume 1, dog tags, and a bit more UEC. I've also purchased packages for three of my friends (using money they sent me) and gotten at least 5 more to support the game. I'll probably never get to one of the offices (even though I live only 4 hours from Austin) or the cons, so the physical merch allows me to have that visceral connection to Star Citizen.

So, there's my confession. If my financial situation improves or I come into money, you can be damn sure I'll be a subscriber again. There's a few ships I'd love to own, but I really want to earn a lot of them in-game. That said, if I had the disposable income... I'm not sure I'd stop myself from being them all. :shock:

Re: Addiction is such a nasty word...

Postby Randallone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:42 pm

spoken like a true (redacted) addict er enabler (/redacted) er FAN of the game.

There's no need for a better ship than the Weekend Warrior Super Hornet. You'll own the star ways.
Freelancer Dur, 315P,Rare Gems and Alien Artifacts

Postby Reaper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Welcome :)
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Welcome to the mad hat club!

Return to “Confessions of a Star Citizen Addict”