Leaderboards Contest: The quest for exposure

Moderators: Board, Queen

arcbinder

Leaderboards Contest: The quest for exposure

Postby arcbinder » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Hey Guys,
In an effort to get more exposure (and as a bit of fun) I'd like to see some enablers on the first page of the leaderboards.

I propose a contest for people to get into the leaderboards.

There would be prizes for the first X people to get into the top 5 for each game mode and smaller prizes for the first Y to get into the top 25 (the default first page of the expanded leaderboard).
Participants would need to be flying Enablers colours to qualify for these (If that's to restrictive, maybe a smaller token prize for affiliates?).

I believe this would encourage people to play more and practice, and also gain the org some exposure through the public leaderboards.

What do you think?
Captain Glume

Re: Leaderboards Contest: The quest for exposure

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Good idea but I think we need to nail down what we are doing with the org funds.

I have a couple of minutes. I'll start a concern thread here in the board.
Eris

Postby Eris » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 am

I like this idea, arcbinder. When I proposed a racing contest a while back the main concern raised was how to verify the winner, but the CIG leaderboards provide a natural way to verify position.

I do think, however, that requiring someone to get in the top 5 is a bit too much, since that is extremely hard to do. Consider as an example the top 5 of the Old Vandervall race leaderbord. The difference in the race times is 0.107 seconds! I think that merely (merely? ha!) getting on the first page - in the top 25 - should be sufficient to be declared the contest winner, and that would mean a rather long running contest anyway since it will likely take weeks for anyone to reach that level of performance. We are not, after all, an org filled with school kids who have hours to spare each day in playing the game. Most of us are all grown up and have jobs and maybe get to play AC once or twice a week.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:52 am

That seems fair. I guess maybe a bonus prize for someone getting in the top 5, then? I think it is important to incentivise thay little bit of extra effort/achievement, but perhaps the emphasis should be on the less difficult task precisely because the top 5 is so daunting.

The competition would then be first X to get into top 25 and a bonus for first Y to get top 5.
Batgirl

Postby Batgirl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Let's have a meeting in mumble about this. If at all possible. We are stretched from England to Vancouver, CA. I have some ideas that I have bounced off of Sandi and I would love to try them out with us.

I may have some money in the show's budget and I am sure Ben would donate a non meltable but amazing ship for our contest.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Sounds good my queen.

Are all the Board members still active? Is everyone here and being notified of new posts? Do we need to replace anyone?
Batgirl

Postby Batgirl » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Good question. I am not sure. It seems the primary people are still around.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm still active, just don't have sub access so not active where you guys hang out in the plush seats with caviar and champagne.
I'm subscribed to all org threads on the RSI forums and to this sub-forum, though.

The UK/Europe based people are in the minority, I think, so we'll have to defer to you guys' timezone on mumble, but I'd request earlier rather than later (or friday/saturday night, since most people wouldn't have work in the morning after).
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:59 am

Captain Glume wrote:Sounds good my queen.

Are all the Board members still active? Is everyone here and being notified of new posts? Do we need to replace anyone?

I haven't seen Kagey around in a while; but according to the Org's members page he was "last seen" 32 minutes ago, so he could just be lurking.

As for the meeting I'm generally only available between 2400 and 0200 GMT on week days and 1600 and 0400 on weekends; but I'm not too hug up on needing to be present for everything so if something outside of that works for the most people it's not an issue.
Eris

Postby Eris » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:33 am

I get home from work no earlier than 7pm CST, but on weekends I'm available all day.

Return to “The Board”