New auction

Moderators: Board, Queen

Are you okay with doing the auction as described?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 am

Yes; go ahead
67%
Yes; I'm uncomfortable with the profit splitting bit though
33%
No; an auction is okay but not the profit splitting
No votes
No; I'd rather not do auctions at all
No votes

Total votes: 3
jaustin89

New auction

Postby jaustin89 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:29 am

As you may have seen in the RSI thread I'm looking at switching up to the new War pack. This would require melting a lot of my ships three of which are giftable; I know there has been some discussion on it previously but I wanted to ask if there is any opposition to putting them up for auction on the site.

I would prefer to do it as a 50-50 split of the profits with the org so I have a bit more for new releases/ an eventual WC upgrade, but I'm perfectly willing to have all of the profit go to the org if we don't want to go down that road. I just don't really want to melt the ships since they are LTI and some people could get good use from them.

Incase anyone's interested the items I'd be putting up are::

1x Lightspeed-LTI $120
1x Digital Pirate-LTI w/ Cutlass Blue upgrade $160
1x Digital Freelancer-LTI w/Freelancer DUR upgrade $125

The poll is more for ease of tracking opinions than a go/no go thing. I don't want to do something that anyone on the board is really uncomfortable with even if the majority is fine with it; that's just not a way to build a functioning leadership team or something I'd want to do in general.
arcbinder

Re: New auction

Postby arcbinder » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:23 am

I'm fine with it.
I've sold ships wholesale on the open market, so it'd be hypocritical for me to say otherwise.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I personally feel that any auction done through the Enablers' site should not be for profit. It could put some members off to where we lose them because they are against this type of auction.

I personally don't care, but I don't want issues for the Org.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm

In the end I only auctioned/traded my ships for face value (ie I only got back what I paid and all 'profit' went to the club) and it worked fine.

However... with the new gifting rules auctions have become a nightmare...

I'll detail out the hassles so we can be clear on them.

Seller has to make sure that their package is GIFTABLE.
    Seller cannot give package to Auctioneer as that would make it NON-TRANSFERABLE.
    Buyer cannot give the money on mass to seller and org. It has to be sent as two chunks.
    This LOCKS the funds to the Org Treasurer account meaning it can't be used for prizes etc.

What this means is hassle. Because the seller has to gift it to the winner, the winner has to gift the winning monies to two parties.
The money for the org is account bound unless we decide to use Paypal and not be in the RSI credit system. This of course incurs transaction fees as well.

So ya. Pain in the butt.

Now... if the org were going for some large prize like a Jump or something (the Completionist pledge comes with two freaking Jumps!) or if anyone has a spare Idris... :twisted:
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm

I have no problem with you auctining off anything. In fact, I have no problem with you just offering to flat out sell things to other members. The "grey market" has never been anything that bothered me and I have no problem with anyone using the board to enable private deals among members.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Unfortunately the current situation at my work (I only got 9 hours this week and we don't have anything else coming in at the moment.) means I can no longer justify getting less than the most possible for the ships so I'm going to have to put them up on the grey market.

I'll try to pick up something I can donate to the org for an auction once work picks up to make up for what would've been raised in the auction but at the moment I've got nothing.

Return to “The Board”