I want to do a racing contest

Moderators: Board, Queen

Eris

I want to do a racing contest

Postby Eris » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:19 am

I want to hold a two week long racing contest and give out prizes to the winners. Since I want to award prizes from our org funds, it seems reasonable that this needs Board approval. (We don't have any formal rules on giving out org assets - I think as a separate matter we should formulate some, even if it's as simple as "requires majority approval of the Board".)

• The contest will be two weeks long so that members have a decent amount of time to hear about the contest and participate in matches against others.
  • Participants can race in any number of matches.
  • Participants can arrange their own match opponents and times.
  • Participants may also provide me their name, availability, and contact info and I will set up matches for them.
  • Matches must occur between ONLY Enablers members - no one else allowed.
  • All matches must occur on the same track. Old Vanderval seems an obvious choice since it is the default track.
  • I will be dedicated score-keeper.
  • At the end of each match, all participants must take a screenshot of the scoreboard showing everyone's times.
  • At least two, but preferably all, participants then email the screenshot to me. If only one screenshot is submitted for a match, it will not be counted! (This is the best anti-cheating mechanism I can think of.)
  • At the end of a week we give prizes to the people with the 3 best times. In the unlikely event of a tie, all tied winners receive the same prize.
  • First prize is an Origin 300i package ($65 value). We have this in the treasury already.
  • Second prize is an Origin racing suit ($10 value). (We would need to purchase one while they are on sale this week, or send me a gift card and I can donate one of my own extras.)
  • Third prize is a UEE Environment Coat ($5 value). (As with the racing suit, we'd need to get one.)

What do you say? Let's get our racing league going!
Shank
Paste King of SC

Re: I want to do a racing contest

Postby Shank » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 am

If we don't have someone actively monitoring each race and just have people send in screen shots, I don't feel that that is a legitimate contest and I don't feel prizes should be given for unmonitored races.

Also there are a lot of race competition happening about this time, think I have come across 3, Dr. Hawk is running the one I can think of off the top of my head.

When we 1st set up the board it was my understanding that all decisions were made by Board majority with Nikki deciding any ties.
Eris

Postby Eris » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 am

I'm not sure how we could monitor races. Do the other people running races have some good mechanism for it? I'd love to know how they are handling this. Not having any good ideas on this is what has kept me form proposing anything for so long - I just couldn't think of a good way to verify race outcomes.

As for other people running race contests, well, let them. I want us to do something to encourage our own members to play the game together. Something to help build up a sense of togetherness and build up team spirit. It's all well and good to chat in the forums, but eventually we are going to be playing this game together, and I think the sooner we start, the better.

Events like this seem like a good way to go.
Reaper

Postby Reaper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:32 pm

I would have no issue if you wanted to do this we should start doing this like this i would not be racing myself as i don't think it is racing but find a shortcut kinda thing.
The only way i can see of policeing it would be to use Shadowplay of fraps for logging the scoreboard! this would be another good reason why CIG should implement a replay system sooner rather than later.

Good luck to all
Eris

Postby Eris » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Fraps videos? The problem with that is that most people probably don't havee the fully licensed version, so they would not be able to make full length videos.

Twitch streams might be an option - at least then a judge could watch in real time.

It has been suggested in the past that a judge could actually log in to a race and just immediately eject and go into observer mode. The problem with that is that it requires a whole _team_ of judges so that one of them would be available when anyone wanted to race. That could be cumbersome. Also, I don't think I could do that since my system is so slow that I seem to time-out a lot when trying to join a spectrum match. (It just takes my computer too long to load all of the game assets, textures, etc.)

Return to “The Board”