Postby arcbinder » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

Bumping again.

Has there been any progress here?
Eris

Re: Meeting minutes, Oct 21

Postby Eris » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm

arcbinder wrote:Bumping again.

Has there been any progress here?

I'm afraid we seem to have dropped the ball on this.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 pm

OK we need to make a decision on this stuff finally. Someone is wanting to make physical patches of the Org logo, so if we are going to change the logo we need to decide what we are going to do.

To summarize what has happened so far:

- We decided that we want a new logo that uses an original design with no elements borrowed from pre-existing designs (to avoid copyright and trademark issues).
-The design should be done in Adobe Illustrator so that it can scale easily to any size.
- We will have a context open to all members to design the log, with Eris, Shank, and Pappy as the judges.
- Batgirl will talk to Pappy about this. (I don't think she ever did.)

What we have not done:

- Decided on the structure or rules of the contest.
- Decided on prizes for the contest.

Shank proposed the following:

- That we have 2 contests: one concept phase so non-artistic people have a chance to participate, and one execution phase for the artists.
- $25-50 gift card for 1st place, and flair items for 2nd and 3rd place
- Open to all members (affiliates as well as primaries). Judges allowed to make entries, but not win prizes.
- Two month long schedule. See his post on page one for details.
- Judges choose 3 finalists who are then voted on by the full membership.
- Designs should focus on social and friendship aspects of the org. Design should be simple enough to scale down to small size and still be recognizable.

jaustin89 proposed the following:

- Judge on design merit only, not artistic merit, since we can always get Pappy or some other artist to do a nice rendition.
- $100 prize for winner, flair or smaller gift cards for 2nd and 3rd place
- 1 month long contest
- General membership votes on 10 finalists and judges pick the winners, perhaps with some weighted point system involved to give more emphasis to the popular vote.
- Designs should use our org colors and motto, but otherwise not restrictions. (Aside: we have never officially picked org colors. Black, silver, red, gold, and blue would seem to be what we have gone with, though, based on the existing logo.)

I proposed the following:

- Just a single contest, not the two contests that Shank proposed, with the winning design professional done by Pappy or some other skilled artist.
- Voting needs to be restricted to members who have accounts on this external forum since we can't run the contest on the RSI forum.
- 1 month contest. (2 weeks for submission, 1 week for judging, 1 week for final vote by membership)

So where do we stand on this? We need at least a majority of board members to come to an agreement before we can move forward. Please do not be silent on this - we need to hear from everyone, as there has already been some confusion with one board member thinking that everyone's silence meant we had decided to keep the old logo.

Let make our decisions be explicit.
Reaper

Postby Reaper » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:46 am

I would think at this stage keeping the logo we have would be good i like the colours and the style,if everyone else would like to chime in.

My vote is to keep what we have.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:35 am

Ditto, like what we have.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 am

Eris wrote:

I proposed the following:

- Just a single contest, not the two contests that Shank proposed, with the winning design professional done by Pappy or some other skilled artist.
- Voting needs to be restricted to members who have accounts on this external forum since we can't run the contest on the RSI forum.
- 1 month contest. (2 weeks for submission, 1 week for judging, 1 week for final vote by membership)

I would agree with those proposals. As far as the prizes, eligibility (for entering a design and/or winning the prizes), and format go I'm going to withhold comments unless specifically asked as I did put together a logo design that I like and don't think It's proper for me to influence aspects of the contest that have any potential of benefiting myself.
Eris

Postby Eris » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:17 pm

Well, we still haven't had a response from even half of the board members, so I think we just need to consider the new logo and contest idea to be dead in the water from lack of interest.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Reaper wrote:I would think at this stage keeping the logo we have would be good i like the colours and the style,if everyone else would like to chime in.

My vote is to keep what we have.

I agree. Having it remade vector so it can be of any size would be nice though.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Eris wrote:Well, we still haven't had a response from even half of the board members, so I think we just need to consider the new logo and contest idea to be dead in the water from lack of interest.

Well if we're not doing the contest (and I agree that it doesn't seem likely at this point); I can at least provide an alternate logo for consideration rather than using one with stuff that's copyrighted.

Logo concept 1:

Logo concept 2:

They're fairly rough concepts but they are vector files and if we gave them to someone more familiar with Photoshop/Illustrator then I am could look pretty good. They also don't have anything on them that is copyrighted (save the 300i silhouette which per CIG policy as long as we're not selling anything for profit is fine to use).

For a description of the symbolism and Ideas I used; I took some elements of the SC logo and combined it with what I see as the "every-man's ship" colored white to represent the majority of the backers (the lowest level citizen cards were the white scout cards) being propelled to space by those at the higher levels (the bands move inward with colors as close as I could get to each level; Green, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Black, Titanium) reflecting the motto's meaning of coming together to support the game and everyone in it.

For the planet we can't really have an image with every potential country our members come from so since most members are from the US and Europe I used what I thought would be the best view for that.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:40 pm

When we do things that need board members imput, is there a way to set up a button that sends an email to all board members email addresses about the post?

Return to “The Board”