Meeting minutes, Oct 21

Moderators: Board, Queen

Shank
Paste King of SC

Re: Meeting minutes, Oct 21

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 pm

Captain Glume wrote:
Shank wrote:3. What, if anything are we going to use for prizes?

A) I personally think the prizes should be equal for both contests and about $25-$50 in Gift Cards. Do we want to have Hangar Flair or Skin prizes for 2nd and 3rd places?

This is the latest Treasury report. You can see the goodies we have available.

What about 4 of the 5 Hartwell Music Sentinel 88G's for 2nd and 3rd prizes?

Also I would have no problem getting, if the rumors are true, the new hangar flair "Liquor Cabinets" for the 2nd and 3rd place persons.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:55 pm

jaustin89 wrote:Questions:
1. Are we going to have people submit drafts and have Pappy do the final illustration or have the contestants take it all the way? (Perhaps with Pappy or someone else doing the art if they can't?)

2. Are we allowing entries of just descriptions or must the entry contain a concept sketch of some kind?

3. What if anything are we going to use for prizes?

4. Are we limiting who can participate and if so where do we draw the line? (Full members, Affiliates, only members registered on this forum? Further; can Judges and/or board members participate)

5. What time frame do we want to aim for?

6. What contest format do we want to use? (Have the judges select x favorites from the submissions then hold a general vote, have a general vote and give the judges the to X submissions, have the judges decide from all submissions?)

7. Are we going to require submissions adhere to a design brief and if so what should that brief be?

Bit later than I planned (Driving past Salem is soo fun on Halloween) but here's my opinions on the questions I posed last night;

1. I'd say we should leave the option open on this one; judge them on design rather than presentation quality and let the winner decide if they want to polish it up on their own or ask Pappy to work on it.

2. As much as I'd like to say we should accept descriptions they would have to be really detailed to create a workable logo from so I don't think we can realistically allow them without some form of image to go off of.

3. The winner of course gets their logo used by the org; in addition we could throw in either the Gladius or of the enough of the gift cards to make a decent prize (~$100 or so in my opinion), Second could get one of the pianos and half the prize in gift cards as first, and third could get the piano and maybe a $10 gift card.

I also still have the third of the Retaliator posters I picked up at the PAX East event; I'd need some store credit to cover shipping (If I remember right sending the other one to Glume was ~$40, it could be higher or lower than that depending on where the it needs to go) that I'd offered as a potential prize in the past that we could use.

4. I'd say we should restrict it to people registered as enablers on this site be they full members or affiliates; mostly because of necessity since we can't run this on CIG's site. Including Pappy as a judge means we kind of have to allow submissions from judges; the real question is coming up with a way to make sure there's as little bias toward that as possible. I'd also say that any of us that want to can submit designs with the caveat that if one of us wins we get skipped in terms of all prizes other than the logo being used (though I admit to being biased on that one since I've been working on a logo draft myself).

5. I know in the meeting we discussed wanting to have the logo ready for the racing league early next year so we should try to get it done fairly soon; on the other hand we don't want to rush the design process or we'll just end up with a logo that could have been better. I'd say announcing the contest in a week or so then giving the contestant's a moth or so to work on them before judging strikes me as a reasonable compromise.

6. I'd say we should have a general vote to determine the top 10 submissions and then have those 10 judged (perhaps carrying over the rankings as points that the judges add to to determine the winner; this would go a long way towards eliminating any feelings of bias from judges judging their own work).

7. I think that aside from making it clear up front that anything incorporating copyrighted imagery can't be used we should leave this fairly open; perhaps just saying that we're looking for a logo that embodies our motto and that we would prefer that designs use our color scheme as the predominant colors.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:41 am

2. We were shooting for simple design so it would also show up on the forums without losing too much of the details.

You'll also need to hold on to 1 of those posters for a prize on another contest, so I can have a chance to win one.

:D
Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:54 am

jaustin89 wrote:Known:
1. We will have a contest to decide the new logo.

2. There will be three judges, currently Pappy, Eris and Shank.

3. The logo needs to be original and not contain copyrighted imagery.

Some other "knowns" fro conversations with Shank and Pappy:

4. The logo should be a simple enough design that it will still look good and be recognizable when shurnk down to small sizes.

5. The logo should in some way reflect our motto (Ad astra per amicita) and/or the different divisions of the Org. This may be negotiable, but obviously the logo needs to somehow convey a sense of who we are, and these seem like a good starting point for that.

jaustin89 wrote:1. Are we going to have people submit drafts and have Pappy do the final illustration or have the contestants take it all the way? (Perhaps with Pappy or someone else doing the art if they can't?)

2. Are we allowing entries of just descriptions or must the entry contain a concept sketch of some kind?

I hadn't heard about doing two contests, one for design and one for execution. (Audio kept cutting out on me in Mumble when we all got together, so it may be that some mentioned it without me being able to hear it.)

Personally, I favor just a single contest where people are free to submit either a written description, or a worked up drawing. I also think we need to make it clear that we reserve the right - if needed - to take the winning design and have it reimplemented professionally by Pappy or anyone else with the skill - not redesigned, of course, just have Pappy produce a very clean and nice looking rendition of it. That should help to enable less artistically skilled members to participate. Also, while I'm not great I can draw a bit and I'd be happy to help sketch out rough drafts for people who aren't comfortable with drawing things themselves.

jaustin89 wrote:3. What if anything are we going to use for prizes?

Captain Glume has us covered!

jaustin89 wrote:4. Are we limiting who can participate and if so where do we draw the line? (Full members, Affiliates, only members registered on this forum? Further; can Judges and/or board members participate)

Well, it has to be members registered on this forum since we can't run a members-only contest on the RSI forums. I have no problem with affiliates participating - we have 85 affiliates, which is more than half the membership. So let's not be exclusive on this. Besides, this forum isn't able to filter based on affiliate status.

jaustin89 wrote:5. What time frame do we want to aim for?

I think Shank's week by week suggestion sounds a bit too drawn out. Personally, I'd like to see the contest run no more than one month. Any longer than that and people are going to get bored and forget about it.

2 weeks for submissions, 1 week for judging and 1 week for the final vote. This is assuming just a single contest and not two.

jaustin89 wrote:6. What contest format do we want to use? (Have the judges select x favorites from the submissions then hold a general vote, have a general vote and give the judges the to X submissions, have the judges decide from all submissions?)

I favor having the judges select a group of finalists (this is where we enforce adherence to the design brief) and then let the membership vote for the winner. As I recall, that is also how we did the motto contest.

jaustin89 wrote:7. Are we going to require submissions adhere to a design brief and if so what should that brief be?

Adhere to a design brief consisting of points 3, 4, and 5 of the "knowns" above.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Bumping this.

Did we hear anything from Nikki?

Do we want to get those involved to gear up a draft of the competition announce in here?
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:47 pm

I think we were waiting till after the anniversary so there was not too much at once.

If I'm incorrect let know.
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 am

I thought we just kind of forgot. Work has been busy lately for me, and I've been really tired and going to bed as soon as I get home, so I'm afraid I've dropped the ball on this. Now Pappy is sick.

Perhaps, after the anniversary sale would be a good time to announce though. Certainly people are going to be very distracted by it the whole week, and I'd rather we announce at the end of it so that we get people when they are still feeling excited, but are no longer focussed on other things.

We still have not decided on the format of the contest though? Will it be the 8 week epic proposed by Shank, or the 4 week sprint that I suggested? We need a vote on that much, at least, before we can go forward.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:39 pm

The longer the more chance we get at quality. But we would have to repost it often to keep the interest.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:06 pm

I will also put a separate pole up on if only members of The Enablers should be allowed to enter or if it should be opened up to all people with only members voting.

Eris, is it possible to set up limited access to where people can post but not vote on poles? This would be the way if possible to limit people if it is open to everyone.

Maybe a 3rd pole for the Board with prize options?
Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:31 pm

You can't make a poll visible to all but with limited votability. However, any poll that exists in the "Enablers" subforums is automatically restricted in voting and viewing to Enablers only.

Return to “The Board”