Pappy and his art (re shirts)

Moderators: Board, Queen

Captain Glume

Pappy and his art (re shirts)

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:36 pm

While I love Pappy and his enthusiasm it does concern me a little that he seemingly promotes "official" org logos, shirts etc. often using copyrighted images from other sources.

Take the shirts for example, while there is our logo (with his recent modifications) he has arbitrarily added a new logo to the sleeve and front.

Before this gets out of hand we should have an idea how to handle all this and how we want our image to be displayed.

It concerns me that most of the recruiting posters have a distinct military bent to them. While I understand weapons are a necessity in the Star Citizen verse I really would like to see our "advertising campaign" have more of a friendly social nature then concentrating on the violence aspect of the game.

Thoughts/discussions anyone?
Firelance

Re: Pappy and his art (re shirts)

Postby Firelance » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 am

I'm only a deputy div chief, but I agree on both points. Regarding the copyright issue, it needs to be tactfully explained to him that using copyrighted logos could get him (and by extension the org) in quite a lot of trouble. Inspiration is one thing, copyright infringement is quite another. And frankly, as to what our "official " logos and representations should be, well, that's Batgirl's prerogative.

As for the recruiting posters, we are a social org, and I do think we want to present a positive vibe. I can't speak for Shank, but I would think that even for Security Division, we'd want our posters to be more about camaraderie and protection, rather than a more militant feel. I do think the military style ones have their place, but I think those would be more appropriate to emphasize our support for Operation Pitchfork. Which is a community endeavor as well.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:49 am

I pretty much agree. One of his latest images, for instance, uses Captain Harlock which is an obvious copyright issue, not to mention really weirdly out of place artistically.

I also don't like the way most of his images are military in nature. There's not anything wrong with that, but it's only one small part of the game. Still he's obviously a WWII buff so I expect he's just making the images that appeal to himself.

Now, I also have to say that I don't see him promoting these as "official" in any way. He does, after all, have editing rights to the org pages, but I don't think he's ever made any changes there, preferring instead to just present his photoshops in the AA thread, and I have no problem with that.

I do wish he'd delete his "make everything blue" filter, though. :D
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

While I am a military retiree :P , I do agree that the main thrust the Enabler's org is Primarily social in nature. I like his work BUT also agree that I sure don't want any individual much the org as a whole to get in trouble over copyright license issues.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 am

I do think we should start talking about making an Org T-Shirt and what should be on it, beside what is being discussed here.

They are a bit on the heavy side of the Military style, but I'm sure if requested he would work on less military styled posts.

I think he is trying to be creative and contribute to the Org, and we have not made any requests, so he just rolls with whatever he is feeling at the time.

I don't see him infringing on copyright at this time since he has not tried to sell anything. Just my point of view since I don't know the laws in depth dealing with that.

I do agree with Eris, his recent stuff is a bit racy for the RSI Forums.

Firelance, you are part of the Board, you do not defer to me here in these discussions, so never fear to speak your mind, and don't worry about if I don't agree with you all the time. ;)
Batgirl

Postby Batgirl » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm

I want to call a meeting of the board to discuss this in mumble. When is everyone available. I can do any time today or tomorrow and after 7 PM EST any other day
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm good with either day.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm good with any time after 2pm EDT today or tomorrow. Other days I'd prefer earlier over later, as 7PM EDT is midnight here.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:55 pm

I work from 9am to 5pm pst today but have no official appointments so could most likely join in in this time window but would prefer after 5pm pst (8pm eastern).
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:57 pm

I am busy tonight (Monday night), but Tuesday I can be there after 7pm CDT (midnight GMT). I'm afraid that's as early as I can make Mumble on the weekdays.

Since the branding issue seems to be on everyone's mind, I'd like to propose the following:

Official org colors: Primary: gold, red, and black. Secondary (highlights and accents): blue and grey
Official org font: whatever it is that Captain Glume uses in those signature images

Just having an official color scheme and font to use would go a long way towards giving us a consistent look and feel.

Also, we should get a nice full size copy of the org logo from Pappy as a Photoshop PSD file. Right now I think he's the only one with the original and the largest resolution one I have is this one here at 300x300:

It's very grainy.

We can discuss alternatives in the meeting, of course.

Return to “The Board”