Eris

Re: Org mini icon change

Postby Eris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm

I put the old logos back for now.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Shank wrote:It is not about it being unpopular, there is just too much art for when it shows up as a small emblem next to people's avatar in the forums.

Eris, you have done a great job with everything you have done, but any changes especially to the Org Emblem need to be discussed.

If people would like a resign on the emblem this is the time to bring up your thoughts about what issues you see with the current one and your ideas about the changes you believe would improve it.

It might be something we could present to all the members for discussion as well.

Quoted myself because I was editing while more posts were put up.

:)
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Eris wrote:Speaking bluntly, I've never been that impressed with his work - it's very derivative and dependent on just clipping together bits from other sources, and perhaps giving everything a blue tint - but he's the only person we have doing anything, so he's it as far as our art goes. I don't have the skill or time to do anything myself.

Well, I quite liked about 2 pieces he did. They were derivative, sure but were quite nicely composed. But yes, it is a series of found art melded into a scene.

I can't offer an alternative, though, and he's very enthusiastic so I haven't said anything thus far.

Also, it seemed a little petty to bring it up and everyone seemed happy. I'm happy with most things as long as everyone else is and it isn't too egregious.

Exactly how I feel. I don't generally say anything since I don't want to be discouraging. And every now and then he puts together something I quite like (the recent image of three explorers standing on an alien world comes to mind, and it was actually what motivated me to start looking at the Org page again anyway). And he is very enthusiastic about it and his work is getting better over time. I have no problem with letting him do artwork for us as long as we stick to the best of his output.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Shank wrote:
Eris, you have done a great job with everything you have done

Quoting shank because you and glume both are doing great things and I've not seen it said enough.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Eris wrote:Speaking bluntly, I've never been that impressed with his work - it's very derivative and dependent on just clipping together bits from other sources, and perhaps giving everything a blue tint - but he's the only person we have doing anything, so he's it as far as our art goes. I don't have the skill or time to do anything myself.

I agree with your assessment. But as you say, other than the limited efforts of myself, he is the only one doing any images at all.

It might be in our organization's best interests to outsource logo creation to an artist. Get something truly unique based off of the ideology of our org's principles.
It could be paid for out of our org assets or a pass the hat pipe fundraiser.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Captain Glume wrote:

It might be in our organization's best interests to outsource logo creation to an artist. Get something truly unique based off of the ideology of our org's principles.
It could be paid for out of our org assets or a pass the hat pipe fundraiser.

That's unnecessary; while I'm not all that artistic I am a drafter, as long as we come up with a design we want I can draw it. I can't do much till my new computer is up and running and I get the software installed but I'm more than willing to do passes on a few designs and work from there.

Return to “The Board”