Org mini icon change

Moderators: Board, Queen

Captain Glume

Org mini icon change

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:23 pm

I see the RSI forum Enabler icon changed from the simple version of the logo to a much more complex version.

I'm not sure I like the new one.

Thoughts?
Eris

Re: Org mini icon change

Postby Eris » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:49 pm

I did that. It's just the new logo that Pappy created and that you are using in your forum avatar. I put it up last night while we were all chatting.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:51 pm

As for the "mini" version, I agree that it's really too complex for it's size, but I didn't have a good small version and didn't want to leave the old mini-logo in place since the color scheme is different.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:25 am

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never been a fan of the emblem at all.

It started off as a ripoff of the emblem of a christian organisation, if I recall... then it somehow got this symbol added to it http://kingdomsofterfall.wikia.com/wiki ... Symbol.jpg and a crown and the star citizen laurels... Now it has 1940s style bomber caligraphy... it just seems a bit of a mess...
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

Any changes to Org stuff really need to be discussed by the board, not changed by one officer, that includes myself.

The emblem that is up now would look nice on the back of a jacket, but does not work on the forums.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:58 pm

I've never been that fond of the logo either. (Although it was not taken from a Christian anything - it was taken from the Gundam anime serieshttp://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Celestial_Being)

However, the new version does at least have the benefit of incorporating the Star Citizen logo as it's base imagery, which seems more appropriate, and the way everyone always compliments Pappy's work I thought the new logo was very popular. Since my earliest official duty was setting up the appearance of the org page, I thought it would be OK to update it, but if we'd rather stay with the old appearance then let me know and I'll put everything back the way it was.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm

I will note that another motivation for the change is a purely technical one: we only have low resolution versions of the old logo and I always hated how fuzzy and blurry it looked.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm

It is not about it being unpopular, there is just too much art for when it shows up as a small emblem next to people's avatar in the forums.

Eris, you have done a great job with everything you have done, but any changes especially to the Org Emblem need to be discussed.

If people would like a resign on the emblem this is the time to bring up your thoughts about what issues you see with the current one and your ideas about the changes you believe would improve it.

It might be something we could present to all the members for discussion as well.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Eris wrote:I've never been that fond of the logo either. (Although it was not taken from a Christian anything - it was taken from the Gundam anime serieshttp://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Celestial_Being)

However, the new version does at least have the benefit of incorporating the Star Citizen logo as it's base imagery, which seems more appropriate, and the way everyone always compliments Pappy's work I thought the new logo was very popular. Since my earliest official duty was setting up the appearance of the org page, I thought it would be OK to update it, but if we'd rather stay with the old appearance then let me know and I'll put everything back the way it was.

My bad on the gundam thing. I can't look at the thread anymore, because I'm not a subscirber, so I couldn't go back to see where someone had pointed it out. I just remembered it having a halo.

Everyone seems to compliment his work, so I went along with it. I actually do like the hornet flights he did and some others. And he seems very enthusiastic about it, so I tend to not want to rain on his parade. The logo, though... it always seemed conceptually confused, to me.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Speaking bluntly, I've never been that impressed with his work - it's very derivative and dependent on just clipping together bits from other sources, and perhaps giving everything a blue tint - but he's the only person we have doing anything, so he's it as far as our art goes. I don't have the skill or time to do anything myself.

Return to “The Board”