Seraph84 permabanned from RSI forums - our response?

Moderators: Board, Queen

jaustin89

Re: Seraph84 permabanned from RSI forums - our response?

Postby jaustin89 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Shank wrote:It appears that everyone is in agreement that there needs to be a rule about permabanned people. The question is that some believe we could have issues with members since it was not in place before this incident occurred, and believe we should put it before everyone this time since it happened before the rule was put into place.

Honestly I don't even think we'd have any issues from anyone (save perhaps Seraph) if we just booted him, I actually doubt all that many people would notice. I just feel that putting it up for vote is the proper way to go about this since he didn't break any rule that we outlined beforehand.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:10 pm

If you guys do want a vote, then may I suggest it be simply a vote to adopt a rule about banned members, and that the ballot include no mention of Seraph? That way it can be just a vote on the rule itself and not a personal referendum on Seraph.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Eris wrote:If you guys do want a vote, then may I suggest it be simply a vote to adopt a rule about banned members, and that the ballot include no mention of Seraph? That way it can be just a vote on the rule itself and not a personal referendum on Seraph.

Agreed.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:33 pm

I do think we should start a discussion with all the members on some basic rules.

The issue that we would need to have a vote on is where it is retroactive for persons who were banned before it was put into place. No names have to be said.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Playing lawyer for a moment, if a rule was made stating "any member who is permanently banned from the RSI forums will be expelled from the Enablers" there there would be no issue of retroactivity, since the prior actions are not what results in the expulsion, but rather the ongoing state of being permabanned.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Eris wrote:Playing lawyer for a moment, if a rule was made stating "any member who is permanently banned from the RSI forums will be expelled from the Enablers" there there would be no issue of retroactivity, since the prior actions are not what results in the expulsion, but rather the ongoing state of being permabanned.

/me nods
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Eris wrote:Playing lawyer for a moment, if a rule was made stating "any member who is permanently banned from the RSI forums will be expelled from the Enablers" there there would be no issue of retroactivity, since the prior actions are not what results in the expulsion, but rather the ongoing state of being permabanned.

I understand playing lawyer. We are dealing with gamers who would more than likely feel tricked and betrayed if we were not up front about that it would affect current member(s). We could lose a lot of members, and I would not blame them. We could appear untrustworthy.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 pm

We also have to consider the precedent it sets; once we switch the div head positions over to voted positions rather than it just being us we could end up with a situation where a future board sees that "the founders" were okay with creating a rule to get rid of someone for retroactively breaking the rule (yes I know that's not the intent or even the exact situation here, it could still be rather easily seen as such). That has the potential to get really ugly.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm necro-ing this thread because it looks like Seraph84 has gotten himself in even more trouble with CIG now. He jumped in the org chat (with a changed "Community Moniker") and posted this:

12:38:54Tinyurl.com/CustServiceFailure Good afternoon
12:40:33Tinyurl.com/CustServiceFailure Yesterday Ben Lesnick, disabled my use of CIG's zendesk support system. In doing so, Ben violated The Pledge, wherein it clearly states all backers will be treated as Publishers. Have you ever heard of a developer excommunicating a publisher in the middle of development? I sure haven't.
12:40:41Tinyurl.com/CustServiceFailure please get this message out to Chris Roberts as I have no way to contact the company now\
12:42:13Tinyurl.com/CustServiceFailure or example if I had a game problem or account problem, I am literally excommunicated. I would need to visit them in person or write snail mail. Does anyone know Chris Roberts's email?

Do we want to do something about him finally? I don't know what's going on, and I doubt that CIG would tell us, but the only reason I can think of for them cutting off his support access is that he's been abusing it. I even wonder if they are about to refund his money and kick him out like Derek Smart. Hell, for all I know he IS Derek Smart.

Quite frankly I'm in favor of just kicking him out of the org. He was never anything but trouble on the forums before he got permanently banned, and now he's even banned from tech support? He's just trouble and that's all he is.
arcbinder

Postby arcbinder » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:11 am

Sorry, emails from subscribed threads aparently not going through again :/

I'm still conflicted on this. As far as I know, he's never done anything to us, and we don't really know what is going on with him and CIG.

I'm happy to put it up to vote, though... If we do decide to do it, would we also need to change the org's rules regarding members' standing with CIG?

Return to “The Board”