Shiny and New

For general Org talk.

Moderators: Board, Queen

jaustin89

Re: Shiny and New

Postby jaustin89 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:35 am

Not exactly in the spirit of the thread since it's not a ship and I've had it for a few months but haven't really had the free time to post anything lately but I got a new job.

Finally managed to make the jump to the Space side of the aerospace industry and am now designing satellite components; been working hard enough that I even managed to get an invite to go down for the launch in November.

I must say though that being able to find images of hardware you worked on on NASA' site is rather surreal.

http://www.goes-r.gov/

I did the cad drawings for the two boxes being mounted in that photo.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Cool, glad to you are doing something you love doing Jaustin
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 am

Welcome back!

I got 2 of the Buccaneer and now I have a Dragonfly too.

You doing well?
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 am

Gratz Jaustin, glad you like your job.
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:02 am

And now more properly in the spirit of the thread my desk started showing stress cracks (pro tip: $20 plastic tables aren't designed to hold ~100LBS of monitors and monitor stand; thing lasted a couple years though) and my chair was falling apart so I finally caved and got an Obutto R3volution. I'll try and remember to post pics tomorrow but I just spent the last 12 hours assembling the thing so for now I'm gonna shove enough trash to the side that I can get the bed back in my room and crash.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 pm

jaustin89 wrote:And now more properly in the spirit of the thread my desk started showing stress cracks (pro tip: $20 plastic tables aren't designed to hold ~100LBS of monitors and monitor stand; thing lasted a couple years though) and my chair was falling apart so I finally caved and got an Obutto R3volution. I'll try and remember to post pics tomorrow but I just spent the last 12 hours assembling the thing so for now I'm gonna shove enough trash to the side that I can get the bed back in my room and crash.

Where's the pictures?

;)
jaustin89

Postby jaustin89 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Shank wrote:
jaustin89 wrote:And now more properly in the spirit of the thread my desk started showing stress cracks (pro tip: $20 plastic tables aren't designed to hold ~100LBS of monitors and monitor stand; thing lasted a couple years though) and my chair was falling apart so I finally caved and got an Obutto R3volution. I'll try and remember to post pics tomorrow but I just spent the last 12 hours assembling the thing so for now I'm gonna shove enough trash to the side that I can get the bed back in my room and crash.

Where's the pictures?

;)

Sorry, when I went to take them I found out that my camera died since the last time I'd used it; got the replacement in Wednesday and photos uploaded just now. I included some of my overall media center setup too since this thing is starting to get pretty cool.

Best I could get for a pilots view image with the cameras FOV:

Current control setup; next upgrade is to get the Obutto HOTAS mounts and attach my X-52:

Overall shot of the cockpit/media center total cost apx. $15,000-20,000:

Media center; Custom water cooled PC, QNAP NAS enclosure/Linux PC w/12TB storage, Cisco gigabit managed Ethernet switch, 2200VA Cyberpower in-line UPS, Netgear 5200AC Router, 5TB external drive, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, 4x1 HDMI switcher, 1x4 HDMI splitter:

PS4, PS3, and 360 run to the HDMI switch which then runs to the HDMI splitter letting me display any of them on any of the 3 main displays o on the monitor next to my bed, I have an HDMI matrix ordered that will replace the switch and splitter and let me individually select an input for each monitor rather than just sending one of the inputs to all 4 monitors:

The external water coler makes for a pretty cool base for the Pitchfork coin display:

I also took a couple videos; one showing off switching between inputs, and the other panning across the displays from my view point (the first one has that as well but It's sideways cause I took the video to show off at work on my tablet and wanted to maximize the resolution)

Stabby_McPunch

Postby Stabby_McPunch » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:47 am

I like the new Terrapin. but not sure if it a better choice than the DUR for me. Especially at the price it is at.
Shank
Paste King of SC

Postby Shank » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Very nice sir.

I like your lighting for the Pitchfork coin.

:D
Stabby_McPunch

Postby Stabby_McPunch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 am

I. Want. Polaris.

I can't afford it. I mean, I could, but we are talking about me melting the majority of my ships. Anybody picking one up?

Return to “General Chat”