Moderators: Board, Queen

einnyen

Race TImes!

Postby einnyen » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Post them up Ladies and Gentlemen!

Race Course: First Track
Ship: M50
Time: 1:21 First lap, 1:12 Second Lap, 1:08 Third Lap

Non-Coop so far. Thinking about the Co-op to see how horrid other pilots are.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Eris

Re: Race TImes!

Postby Eris » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:02 am

Track: Old Vanderval
Ship: M50
Best time: 1:54:??
Controller: X52

Track: Old Vanderval
Ship: 350R
Best time: 2:02:38
Controller: X52

Yeah, I'm a slowpoke. I'm just not very physically coordinated and my X52 is waaaay oversensitive. I'm having trouble getting it adjusted correctly so that I can fly without spastically running into things. I'm also taking it easy as I use the race track as a way to learn how to fly: I set my speed at some constant rate and then fly a lap, then if everything went well I push the speed up just s smidge and go again. So far I'm up to 200 m/s - about 70% max. I have not tried using the afterburner at all yet though eventually I'm sure I'll try that on straightaways.
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 pm

The Afterburner isn't really any afterburner anymore. Now it's an acceleration booster which means you get to your top end speed in a couple of seconds instead of the few seconds it takes to accelerate normally.

It's hugely beneficial when you're pulling hair pin turns, or evading enemy fire. Changing vectors without losing much speed is vital when dogfighting and nearly, if not more vital, in racing.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
Firelance

Postby Firelance » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 am

Wow Einnyen, you'd kick my ass in a race, best I managed was a little over 1:30. In all honesty, I plan to use my m50 as more of a combat ship (more interceptor than racer), but I might kick it about the track every now and then ;)
mohoc

Postby mohoc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:29 pm

einnyen wrote:The Afterburner isn't really any afterburner anymore. Now it's an acceleration booster which means you get to your top end speed in a couple of seconds instead of the few seconds it takes to accelerate normally.

It's hugely beneficial when you're pulling hair pin turns, or evading enemy fire. Changing vectors without losing much speed is vital when dogfighting and nearly, if not more vital, in racing.

I use my Boost to arrest momentum in tight turns and to accelerate out of tight curves. Another trick is to use de-coupled to make those turns even faster.

My fastest lap on Track 1 (in solo flight) is 1:12:24 with KMB in a M50. I think I got it down good enough to start playing public matches this week.
Kordis

Postby Kordis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:38 am

So far I've only tried the 350r, and my best lap has been 2 minutes flat.
Only recently got my stick working again and still need some practice and to watch the tip videos.
Working with an extreme 3d pro, and haven't gotten all the flight controls down yet, so i'll be working on that next.
Eris

Postby Eris » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:47 pm

So apparently the people getting the best times aren't actually following the track. Instead they attempt to go in as straight a line as possible from checkpoint to checkpoint. I guess I have to start trying that. I even saw a video of someone drifting sideways through a checkpoint so that as soon as he cleared the gate he was already lined up in the direction he wanted to go next. Crazy stuff!
Eris

Postby Eris » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:15 am

Down to 1:42:43 now! Slowly improving. Still have trouble with the stick being oversensitive, though.
mformonkey

Postby mformonkey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 pm

So far I've got to:
2:10 in the Aurora
1:49 in the 300i
1:33 in the M50

Around 1:30 seems to be adequate not to be hugely embarrassing in spectrum race, but if it's possible to do it in almost a minute, I'm going to have to start to find shortcuts to shave a full 30s
mformonkey

Postby mformonkey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:13 pm

And now 1:24 in the 350R

It's so fast, but so unstable, feels like you're wrestling it around the track. I'm going to trade it back for an M50, that's a joy to fly.

Return to “General Chat”