Risk and reward

Trading and hauling

Moderators: Board, Queen

Stabby_McPunch
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:09 am

Risk and reward

Postby Stabby_McPunch » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:30 pm

So, I am staring at my Hull C and wondering if I should upgrade it to a D. I know that the upfront cost is more, but I was thinking about getting a D for delivery outside of safe space. It s risky and would require a fighter escort, but I imagine the money to be made would offset the cost of fighters ... especially with a Hull D bringing lots of goods. And, I figured what better way to take that risk than with a ship that would have LTI in place?

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Would the C be better for this (I only just thought about smaller market sizes)?
User avatar
Captain Glume
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Well with that thinking you'd be better with an E.

From what I can gather the C is much faster then a D or E and better suited to risky routes then the larger letters. Of course things like Connies and other faster better armed and armoured craft would be much better suited to the risky routes. I imagine the sig on any of the hull class would be enormous.

Of course with all those mods they talked about they could be sweet.

I am struggling with C vrs D myself. I like the D's larger size and 3 rack design. But it is too early to tell. If you get the smaller you can always CCU it to the larger size later once we've seen more.
Image
User avatar
Eris
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Eris » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:32 pm

A thought suddenly occurred to me regarding risk and reward of piracy: while a Hull D or Hull E might seem like a tempting target for pirates, the simple fact is that these ships hold so much cargo that no pirate vessel is going to be able to take anywhere near the entire cargo load. Even with a pair of caterpillars to pick up the booty, a Hull E would only be able to turn over a pittance of it's full manifest of goods.

So are these big bulk freighters really going to be such tempting targets? I bet the pirates concentrate their attacks on the smaller ships that they can get the most out of (and which as less likely to have large numbers of escorts).
Image
Stabby_McPunch
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Stabby_McPunch » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:52 pm

Good point ... with as much cargo as an E carries, you have the option of dropping some cargo and not stopping with minimal impact to your profit. Pirates win without a fight and you don't lose ...
User avatar
Captain Glume
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Captain Glume » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Your more likely to see brutal ship takeovers in this case where they steal the ship, unload and then junk the ship. Leaving no survivors...
Image
User avatar
Eris
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Eris » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Ah, but the mechanics of boarding require that a ships engines and thrusters be disabled entirely before you can board. If you go this route then you are going to need an ability to repair the engines on site in order to get away again.
Image
einnyen
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK
Contact:

Re: Risk and reward

Postby einnyen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Eris wrote:Ah, but the mechanics of boarding require that a ships engines and thrusters be disabled entirely before you can board. If you go this route then you are going to need an ability to repair the engines on site in order to get away again.


Has that been stated as a hard fact?

I can definitely see a few Cutlas' (Cutli?) getting close, clamping on, and unloading 2-3 "marines" per Cutlas. Once you have 10 or more attackers breaching your hull you'd be hard pressed to get away alive. I thought that there was a ship that had a breaching docking collar... Cutlas Black? I can't remember to be honest.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
User avatar
Pappy
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Pappy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:47 am

I do own a Hull E , but i see it as an Enabler ORG ship.
The sheer fact is this ship is not a lone ship play style.
I also see it more in the role as stock ship for the Orion, Reclaimer and StarFarer.

This ship would go along with any of these ships and as they work stock up on the goods they produce.
So these ships can keep working without going back and forward.
When the Hull E or multiple Hulls are full the fleet could go back under protection and reap the benefits.

In my view the Hull D and Hull E fit more in this roll then being a transport from station to station.

The Hull C is more in that roll as pure transport from a to b station or system.

THe Hull A and B are the planetary to station and back ships.
Afterall whatever the C,D and E bring to a certan station will eventually have to go planetside.
so these would be the missions A and B fly.

As to resource gathering fleets i see;
Orion/starfarer/reclaimer Gathering for resources
Carrack as exploration search and find the resources
Atleast a Javalin/Idris as support battleship or command ship.
Escorts depending on distance: 2 to 4 vanguards, 2 to 4 super hornets, 2 gladius, 2 gladiator or 1 retaliator.
maybe even a Anvil Aerospace Crucible , just so if a ship breaks down it can be repaired at location.

The hull series is not only capable to haul regular cargo but also the cargo from Starfarer like fuell and liquids
So in essence the hull C ,D and E could carry fuell for the other fleet ships as they set out into deep space.

Regardless organizing this will take some pre thinking and planning + assesing the dangers.
Pirates, enviremental dangers, potential vanduul or other aliens,medical issues, rival orgs, asteroids and so on.
User avatar
Shank
Paste King of SC
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 pm
Location: USA Texas

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Shank » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:25 am

Captain Glume wrote:Well with that thinking you'd be better with an E.

From what I can gather the C is much faster then a D or E and better suited to risky routes then the larger letters. Of course things like Connies and other faster better armed and armoured craft would be much better suited to the risky routes. I imagine the sig on any of the hull class would be enormous.

Of course with all those mods they talked about they could be sweet.

I am struggling with C vrs D myself. I like the D's larger size and 3 rack design. But it is too early to tell. If you get the smaller you can always CCU it to the larger size later once we've seen more.



I agree with the Capt. on the C more than likely being the best from a players view.

Eris wrote:A thought suddenly occurred to me regarding risk and reward of piracy: while a Hull D or Hull E might seem like a tempting target for pirates, the simple fact is that these ships hold so much cargo that no pirate vessel is going to be able to take anywhere near the entire cargo load. Even with a pair of caterpillars to pick up the booty, a Hull E would only be able to turn over a pittance of it's full manifest of goods.

So are these big bulk freighters really going to be such tempting targets? I bet the pirates concentrate their attacks on the smaller ships that they can get the most out of (and which as less likely to have large numbers of escorts).


If I were a Pirate I would go for the cargo ships that had more than I could carry. I would only have to take 1 cargo ship and it would more than likely have the kind of goods I wanted. I could also call in more ships to take the extra cargo.
User avatar
Captain Glume
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada

Re: Risk and reward

Postby Captain Glume » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Another point is what our limits are in terms of number of ships we are permitted.

As an example, if CIG limits us to 30 ships per instance, 10 for us, 10 for bad guys 10 for wildcards then an E would be a better ship then 2 c's as an example.

Same thing with defence, depending on any system limits we might have to make plans for maximizing our fleets.

Of course they may do the limits by way of tonnage (less likely) or total crew limits. Hard to say at this time but it is worth keeping in mind.
Image

Return to “Merchant and Transport”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest