Online database for members assets (ships)

Asset Management and Administration

Moderators: Board, Queen

Eris

Re: Online database for members assets (ships)

Postby Eris » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:24 am

Whew!

I am really sorry for dropping the ball on things lately. I've been really busy and I've been putting things off again and again.

So what do you guys need or want from me on this?

For my part I'd like to set up a dev instance of the forums with a redacted database (anonymized users, reset passwords to known values for testing, give all dev users admin access, etc) and install it somewhere with HTTP auth access to protect it. Then we can use it for testing and deploying new things like the ship database.

Now phpBB really doesn't have any good ways to integrate plugins - you have to manually edit the theme files to activate a plugin, so merely switching themes can actually break functionality! The upshot of this is that anyone working on this is going to need FTP and/or shell access to do anything. Capt_Glume and I already have that - I don't now if you need it (or even want it) Mil, but I could set it up for you.

(Note to Glume - I'm willing to set up the dev instance on my own server if need be, so that it could be in a completely isolated account.)

What do you guys think about this?
Mil

Re: Online database for members assets (ships)

Postby Mil » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 pm

Don't worry.

I would like to have an instance for the development part. Because we are not only changing the UI but use the db a lot, it makes absolutely sense not to work on the productive site.
At least for the dev environment I would like to have FTP access. I normally write code locally and deploy it to the system. Additionally I probably have to add some js for the graphs and stats or maybe have to experiment with it.
If in the end all is done, you can take the result and I don't need access anymore.
Behold! ... Nah, nevermind.

Return to “Org. Logistics”