Online database for members assets (ships)

Asset Management and Administration

Moderators: Board, Queen

Captain Glume

Online database for members assets (ships)

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Ok I hear you Enablers. I will think on the db setup and what data screens are needed.

But I am thinking of doing it right.

-Ability to add in bulk number of the same ship or the ability to add each ship individually. Example, 5 Hornets. Enter your total as 5 or enter them in one at a time putting in the ship's name and short description of intended loadout and purpose etc. Ability to create Squadron names and link each ship to it.

Ability to set a ship as "Shared with Org" status. Then all of those ships will auto list with other Org ships in a list, sortable by the same Squadron etc.

Data screens of total shps by type, by Squad, by person or whatever.

Edit screens for each ship entry so you can update or delete it etc.

I'll post more once I've thought about it.

I will also set the Org name so that we can let allies use the system as well with optional groupings etc.
Captain Glume

Re: Online database for members assets (ships)

Postby Captain Glume » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Also thought of adding a "Private" flag to allow members to hide the personal details for a ship record.
Pathagarus

Postby Pathagarus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Can't think of anything to add. When I do I'll ley you know here.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

My top suggestion at this time would be not to overthink it. I don't know what the "fleet view" is going to be when it goes live on the RSI site, but I suspect that at least some of what you do will be superceded by the Fleet View sooner or later.
Mil

Postby Mil » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Eris, I agree that we should keep it simple. But I think we should make the effort to build up more interest in The Enablers, right now. We don't know when the fleet view will come and what it will contain.

Technical suggestion and implications:
o We use custom phpBB pages, as (both of you?) already suggested in the RSI forum.
o That will give us free identification of the user who enters (or later views) the data and authorization regarding access to these pages (I would suggest only for the registered Enablers atm).

What I can offer right now:
o I would like to make HTML/JS mock-ups (without db first) for the page(s) we want for entering the data.
o I will upload the mock-ups to one of my web spaces and let you simple use it. You suggest changes. I make these changes.
o When we are happy we combine the db access and HTML/JS page in the phpBB custom page.

Needless to say that the view and the db have to go hand in hand in that process. ;)
Behold! ... Nah, nevermind.
mformonkey

Postby mformonkey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 pm

If you'd like someone to review the mock ups once they're done I'd be happy to help. When I'm not spending all my income on ships I'm a User Experience consultant (to earn more money for ships :), so I'm all about making things easier to use.
Mil

Postby Mil » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

mformonkey wrote:If you'd like someone to review the mock ups once they're done I'd be happy to help. When I'm not spending all my income on ships I'm a User Experience consultant (to earn more money for ships :), so I'm all about making things easier to use.

I would like that very much.

@all: I will take Captain Glumes first input and try to figure out a mock-up which make sense (at least to me in that moment ;) ). Then I post a link where you all can take a look.

@Captain Glume: Please feel free to add additional ideas. :)
Behold! ... Nah, nevermind.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 am

Thank you all, it looks like we are on the right track. I am in office most of the day tomorrow so I should be able to finish my db storage and relations.

I always make things robust so that you can add stuff easy instead of doing it like a flat file and burning your self.

I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 setup to my server so I can make up basic entry and viewing pages that work with the DB's. Once I have those it will be easy for Mill and others to make up their mockups and then pop them into place for a full test. Sounds like this will be fun.

We will also need to work out pictures of each ship and variant so we can add stuff easy and have it look nice. We could even go so far as to make complete stats for the ships. I'll put the ship sources into their own table and relate them to peoples records so that will make updating data easy peazy. :P
mformonkey

Postby mformonkey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:05 pm

There are some examples of fleet visualisations in this thread. Could be a decent starting point:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.c ... uild-chart

I've seen some in colour on an org website at some point, but can't remember where though.
Captain Glume

Postby Captain Glume » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Thank you for the example. That kind of ship display will be dead easy with my system. I'm more concerned about the data storage at this point and making changes to it easily. Once the data is in the system in the quantities and quality we want and we can make any type of organizational chart we wish.

I have my build plan and database layout almost finalized and I will post it here for feedback.

But please keep your ideas coming.

One of the interesting things we can probably do, with sufficient talent, is be able to dynamically create a graphic showing the ship lists & organization that would be automatically updated when the database was changed and would show up automatically on the official RSI organization page for us.

Return to “Org. Logistics”