Voice comms server

ESN - Enablers Spectrum News
The Most Trusted Name In The 'Verse!

Moderators: Board, Queen

einnyen

Re: Mumble server

Postby einnyen » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Nikki and a few of us were talking about Discord the other night.

I think the plan at this stage is to keep mumble for the next 3 months or so and then look into other options as we'll most likely need to grow from a 20 user license to something a bit bigger. Pricing is going to be the contentious part.

Glume and I had discussed splitting the server costs at one point, but I think that's because we were just so fed up with Raidcall. I'd still be willing to pitch in for something though. That way Nikki can use the Patreon funds I and others give her for items and services to help improve her shows.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
SilverlightPony

Postby SilverlightPony » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:56 pm

einnyen wrote:Nikki and a few of us were talking about Discord the other night.

I think the plan at this stage is to keep mumble for the next 3 months or so and then look into other options as we'll most likely need to grow from a 20 user license to something a bit bigger. Pricing is going to be the contentious part.

Glume and I had discussed splitting the server costs at one point, but I think that's because we were just so fed up with Raidcall. I'd still be willing to pitch in for something though. That way Nikki can use the Patreon funds I and others give her for items and services to help improve her shows.

That's one of the nice things about Discord: It's completely free.
Eris

Postby Eris » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Solaias wrote:Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the mumble server?

I have just reinstalled my system and, therefore, mumble, but it won't connect to the server.

Code: Select all

[01:50:59] Server connection failed: Connection refused.

Who have I pissed off? And will candy make things right? :D

I can connect just fine from here. Maybe you should uninstall Mumble and set it up again from scratch? I don't really know what else to suggest.

"Connection refused" though sounds like Mumble is working fine, but that there is a network related issue. Since you just reinstalled Windows, check the Windows firewall settings to make suire it is not blocking the connection. Try turning the firewall off entirely for a moment and see if you can connect that way.
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:32 pm

Supposedly Discord will be making their money by selling cosmetics. I'm curious to see if they can be profitable selling skins and avatars for an application most people minimize to the task bar while they're running it.

If we don't go the Discord route, I'll offer again...I have a 40-slot TeamSpeak server I maintain for my friends--a group of people who play other games, including some PnP stuff. I'm 100% willing to let that be the org server. Since I'd be maintaining the server for my other friends anyways, I wouldn't want (nor would I accept) anything in return. So it's effectively free. Usage on the server has gone down quite a bit recently (I think the PnP game is on hiatus), so it's kinda going to waste right now.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:00 am

Eris wrote:I can connect just fine from here. Maybe you should uninstall Mumble and set it up again from scratch? I don't really know what else to suggest.

"Connection refused" though sounds like Mumble is working fine, but that there is a network related issue. Since you just reinstalled Windows, check the Windows firewall settings to make suire it is not blocking the connection. Try turning the firewall off entirely for a moment and see if you can connect that way.

I have tried everything. I have even uninstalled my firewall, antivirus and 0-day exploit protection, and then gone in and manually turned off windows firewall too.

Nothing is working. The SERVER is refusing the connection. I've just found out that my sister has also been having the same issue since she tried re-installing mumble a few weeks ago. It seems any connection the server knows is fine, but a new one is being told to "Go away". lol
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.
Eris

Postby Eris » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:03 am

Solaias wrote:
Eris wrote:I can connect just fine from here. Maybe you should uninstall Mumble and set it up again from scratch? I don't really know what else to suggest.

I have tried everything. I have even uninstalled my firewall, antivirus and 0-day exploit protection, and then gone in and manually turned off windows firewall too.

Nothing is working. The SERVER is refusing the connection. I've just found out that my sister has also been having the same issue since she tried re-installing mumble a few weeks ago. It seems any connection the server knows is fine, but a new one is being told to "Go away". lol

:(

You'll have to talk to Nikki about this. She's the only one with admin access. Maybe she can help.
einnyen

Postby einnyen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 pm

NotableJoe wrote:

Supposedly Discord will be making their money by selling cosmetics. I'm curious to see if they can be profitable selling skins and avatars for an application most people minimize to the task bar while they're running it.

If we don't go the Discord route, I'll offer again...I have a 40-slot TeamSpeak server I maintain for my friends--a group of people who play other games, including some PnP stuff. I'm 100% willing to let that be the org server. Since I'd be maintaining the server for my other friends anyways, I wouldn't want (nor would I accept) anything in return. So it's effectively free. Usage on the server has gone down quite a bit recently (I think the PnP game is on hiatus), so it's kinda going to waste right now.

That's very generous, Joe. I'd be willing to go to TS as I've always had a better experience with it than most any other voip client.

The only real concern i have is whether 40 slots will be enough going forward. If you did have to increase the size I would insist that we contribute to the upkeep. It's only fair afterall. Even if some of us just gift you gift cards for you to buy ships it'd make me feel better about it.
AEGIS - Gladius, Retaliator, Vanguard
ANVIL - F7C-M Super Hornet, T3A Gladiator
C/O - Mustang Delta
DRAKE - Herald
MISC - Hull A, Hull B, Star G
ORIGIN - M50, 350R, 325A
NotableJoe

Postby NotableJoe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 am

Solaias wrote:

Did you reinstall Mumble right before it stopped working? It's been a while since I set up Mumble, but doesn't it use PKI? Maybe you generated a new key, and the server is rejecting your login.
Eris

Postby Eris » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

NotableJoe wrote:Did you reinstall Mumble right before it stopped working? It's been a while since I set up Mumble, but doesn't it use PKI? Maybe you generated a new key, and the server is rejecting your login.

Interesting idea. Maybe Batgirl could delete the user account from the server to reset things.
Solaias

Postby Solaias » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Coming back to my connection woes, I just tried installing Mumble again and setting up the server details. While entering the details I suddenly realised that there is no field for a password, and the server is not requesting one from me when I try to connect.

I think that this may be the issue tbh. I can't enter a PW for the server.

EDIT:

NVM. I fixed the issue. It was me being a total dufus.

No, I'm not going to tell you what the issue was because that would just be too embarrassing. :oops:
Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash.

Return to “Announcements”